Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Pools

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Pools

Hey all-

Just joined the group. I have no idea on how to care or maintain for a pool, but we are in the process of having one installed now. Everything should be done in 2-3 weeks time. Looking forward to learning the process and how to maintain a salt water pool system.

Thank you!
    Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Pools

Welcome. Pool School is your friend.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome, Doug!

You've got ample time to prepare, so order up a proper test kit now and have it waiting.

And we like pictures. Posting Photo's Tutorial

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard-

Thank you for the advice. However, how and where do I get one? How do I know it's proper? Is there one specific for Salt?
    14-15k gallon (450 sq ft) IG Pool w/ Pebble. Pentair Quad 60 Filter, Intelliflow Circ/Jets Pump, SWG, Solar (300 sq ft), Auto Fill, Easy Touch, LED Lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dougshea View Post
    Richard-

Thank you for the advice. However, how and where do I get one? How do I know it's proper? Is there one specific for Salt?
    Best kit bar none is the TF100. It uses the same reagents as the Taylor K-2006 but in more realistic quantities. And new this year, it comes with a bottle of CYA standard, so you can calibrate your eyes and your testing procedure to a known value before you check the pool CYA. You can also get the salt strips or drop kit at the same place. And nobody who has bought a speedstir regrets it.

And now... the link.

I just spared you having to read Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you very much Richard!! I just ordered it right now along with the salt strips. Funny whenever I see CYA I think of the other meaning of that acronym. Ha!! Again really appreciate the guidance.
    14-15k gallon (450 sq ft) IG Pool w/ Pebble. Pentair Quad 60 Filter, Intelliflow Circ/Jets Pump, SWG, Solar (300 sq ft), Auto Fill, Easy Touch, LED Lights