Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting Over

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting Over

I recently took the,cover off of my pool, yuck! It is was green and gross. I have put 24 lbs of sodium hypo in it but to no avail, yesterday,I drained it and am refilling today, I need to know what the best action is after it gets filled
    AG 13500 gls
    Water way 1.0hp pump
    Ac 186lb. Mega clean series 18in. Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting Over

Welcome to TFP!

Step 1 order a TF100 from TFTestkits.net
    Step 2 add 30 ppm stabilizer in a sock, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals, use Poolmath to calculate dose
    Step 3 add 3 ppm FC by adding 8.25% bleach or 10-12% liquid chlorine, see chemical page for more info, use Poolmath to calculate dose
    Step 4 adjust your PH to 7.6 if you have a PH test. Wait if you don't.
    Step 5 post test results when the kit arrives
    Step 6 read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Step 7 read this, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Kenny and welcome! pooldv has given you an outline to success. I too recommend the TF-100 (with Speed Stir). Mix like a pro!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I went out and bought a Taylor test kit from Leslie's that measures everything that the pool school recommended including the cya test will that work or do I need to return it and buy the tf100

AG 13500 gls
    Water way 1.0hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Is stabilizer the same as sodium bicarbonate

AG 13500 gls
    Water way 1.0hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

No, that's baking soda. Stabilizer is "cyanuric acid".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you Texas I appreciate it

AG 13500 gls
    Water way 1.0hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

My CH is very low, what is the best type of calcium to use and where would I purchase it at, other than a pool store.

AG 13500 gls
    Water way 1.0hp pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. Some ACE Hardware stores carry the HTH Calcium Plus in 4.5lb containers.

And don't forget, depending on how much CH you need to increase, you can always use Cal-Hypo ... 2 birds with one stone (FC & CH).