Algaecide Overdose

lcd98

Aug 30, 2015
Middletown, NJ
Hi,
After having been freaked out by the sight of my dog with a dead animal in its mouth, I accidentally put about 18 oz of algaecide in my pool instead of muriatic acid. Problem is I had added about 22 oz of algaecide yesterday as a preventive dose. (My pool company had added algaecide when I opened my pool on 4/29 and I have not had any problems. Yesterday is the first time I added algaecide myself.) Earlier today, I added about 66 oz of 8.3% bleach to get chlorine levels up. After I lowering the pH with the muriatic acid, I had planned to add about 4 pounds of CYA because my chlorine seems to be burning off more quickly now that it has gotten sunnier/warmer.

Will the extra algaecide cause any harm? Do I have to wait to add muriatic acid? If so, how long? How long after adding muriatic acid can I add the CYA (plan to put it in a sock in the skimmer). How long after adding CYA can we swim? Does the CYA need to be fully dissolved before we swim?

Sorry for all the questions. I thought I was getting the hang of this.

Thanks,
Laura

Today’s Test Result (before any chemicals were added)
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TC 2.0
TA 80-90
CH 250 ppm
CYA 25
pH 7.7

Will the extra algaecide cause any harm? What was in the algaecide? Metals? Ingredient list?
Do I have to wait to add muriatic acid? No If so, how long?
How long after adding muriatic acid can I add the CYA (plan to put it in a sock in the skimmer). You can do them at the same time.
How long after adding CYA can we swim? Immediately
Does the CYA need to be fully dissolved before we swim? No

Also your FC is too low for your CYA as it is. I wouldn't add too much more CYA being in NJ.

Will the extra algaecide cause any harm? What was in the algaecide? Metals? Ingredient list?
Do I have to wait to add muriatic acid? No If so, how long?
How long after adding muriatic acid can I add the CYA (plan to put it in a sock in the skimmer). You can do them at the same time.
How long after adding CYA can we swim? Immediately
Does the CYA need to be fully dissolved before we swim? No

Also your FC is too low for your CYA as it is. I wouldn't add too much more CYA being in NJ.

Thanks for your help. I added the muriatic acid but I have not yet added the CYA. Why do you think I shouldn't add CYA? I read that it should be between 60-80 for SWG pools.
The algaecide is Leslie's Algae Control/Preventer. I can't find a detailed ingredient list online. The bottle says 60% Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] and other ingredients 40%. Thanks again.

Sorry, just caught the SWG bit in your signature. Yes, you should be at ~70 when you are using the SWG, but if you are SLAMMING you'd be better off leaving it off until after the SLAM. Even if you aren't slamming 1.5 FC is too low for 30 CYA (round up :) )

The algaecide should go away over time, I would pretend it's not there unless you see persistent foaming or metal staining/coloring after a few days of filtering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.