Large Pool

Re: Commercial Pool Fun

Iron in the water will turn very green when chlorine is added to it. Sometimes you get lucky and at SLAM levels, it'll actually precipitate the iron out of the water and the filter will catch it. But, that doesn't always happen.

Low CH isn't a concern for painted pools as long as there is no concrete exposed.

Iron in the water will turn very green when chlorine is added to it. Sometimes you get lucky and at SLAM levels, it'll actually precipitate the iron out of the water and the filter will catch it. But, that doesn't always happen.
Curious that the Taylor iron kit didn't pick up on it.

I'm assuming a sequestriant is the only option if adding CYA and Slamming does not clear things up?

The big problem with the metal tests is that they give a lot of false negatives. A lot of times metals won't show up on the tests even though you know they're in the water.

Since it's always shown up and always gone away on it's on, I'd say raise the FC to slam level and keep it there for a while and see if it precipitates out.

If it doesn't, then you're correct, sequestrant is about the only option.

If you have iron, two methods I've seen to remove it in drinking water is aeration and sodium permanganate. For example, here is a picture of some aerators just for the purpose of Iron and Manganese removal. I have also seen pure oxygen pumped into the bottom of a reservoir. If it is Iron, some method of aeration may be a means to precipitate it out. If it is coming from the well water, it may be avoided in the future by infusing air into the line as it is pumped (maybe create a venturie to suck in some air)
plant aerators.jpg

Pchase,

I am not sure that method is practicable for pools. The aeration drives out the iron by precipitation, but what really happens is the air drives up the pH of the water and it is the high pH that precipitates the iron.

I imagine it drives the pH so high that now you have what might be an insurmountable pH issue in your pool.

Pchase,

I am not sure that method is practicable for pools. The aeration drives out the iron by precipitation, but what really happens is the air drives up the pH of the water and it is the high pH that precipitates the iron.

I imagine it drives the pH so high that now you have what might be an insurmountable pH issue in your pool.
On large plants, I see a once through system, so the incoming water is all treated as it enters the plant and not recycled through the tank. You want a pH of at least 7.2 with a target of 7.5 to 8.0. With this, you don't really see an increase. Recycling around a pool would probably need to be answered in how much air is needed. I have a calculation for that somewhere.

I did a quick search on venturi injectors and found this one for chemical injection into pools. http://mazzei.net/pool/ It can be used for adding liquid chemical or air.

I ran a number of about 2 cfm/transfer efficiency of air per gpm of water assuming Fe around 10 ppm.

But as I think about it, the time to treat is the fresh water on the fill because once it is in and Chlorine added, it's probably converted to something like FeCl and may prevent it from precipitating out as iron Hydroxide. When it is filled, something like the venturi mentioned and/or anything to splash things around and get air mixed in (stair step, spay into the air, etc.) or if it is filled the diffusion before any chemical treatment outside of a possible pH adjustment. That should precipitate it out and then run the filter to capture it before chlorination.

Yes, Iron can tint the water green. Really it's pale yellow-orange but the blue pool makes it look green.

People have had pretty good luck lining the skimmers with paper towels or polyester pillow stuffing. When it gets all rusty, throw it away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes, Iron can tint the water green. Really it's pale yellow-orange but the blue pool makes it look green.

People have had pretty good luck lining the skimmers with paper towels or polyester pillow stuffing. When it gets all rusty, throw it away.

- - - Updated - - -

Any sequestrient recommendations if the green gets worse when I add chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.