Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Pucks To Buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Pucks To Buy?

First, I'm a TFP believer/user and have only added bleach and acid to my pool over the last year or so that I've owned it. Things go as expected and I don't have any problems that I can't blame on myself.

However, we've got a couple trips planned this summer that will take me away longer than I can maintain FC in the pool - 7 to 10 day timeline. Stenner system is in the plans but won't be done by trip time. I might be able to get someone to swing by and dump a couple bottles of bleach in, but I need a backup plan just in case I can't line that up. My backup plan is pucks in floater(s). The CYA is somewhere around 50 (possibly lower) and has crept down from 80 since we started maintaining the pool. So I'm OK adding a bit of CYA via the pucks. My pH is fairly stable. Creeps up from 7.5 to 7.6 or 7.7 over several days. That will probably be creeping faster as we get hotter and I need more high TA fill water.

My 8.25% bleach demand has been about 60 oz per day lately. Experience tells me that's going up with the heat that's coming soon. I believe I was about 90 oz in the worst part of the summer last year. But that was with the higher CYA so I'm still playing this by ear.

All that being said, I've never bought any pucks before. What do I buy? Trichlor? Dichlor? Cal-Hypo? (I know no CYA here - I don't know my CH number off the top of my head - might be 275 if memory serves) I'm not interested in the best bulk value as this is a stop gap solution and I don't want to store them long.

And are all the floaters the same? Should I just get one that's well reviewed on Amazon?

One other question - I get some leaves in the pool from a nearby tree. Should I leave the cleaner (Hayward Phoenix 2x) connected and running while away and risk it clogging with a big storm? Or take it out and deal with the leaves when I get back? I'm tempted to get the bottom clean and take the cleaner out as the skimmer works way better without the cleaner hose on the surface.

Thoughts, experience or other ideas welcome. I'm about 5 weeks out to the first trip.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Pucks To Buy?

Typically:
    Trichlor is tablet
    Dichlor is powder
    Cal-hypo is powder

So trichlor is what you are going to almost always find at the store.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

When you buy tablets just make sure they are pure trichlor, greater than 95%. Make sure they don't have any extras like copper or zinc. If you can find them individually wrapped then the ones you don't use right away will last virtually indefinitely. Only advice on floaters is to make sure you get one that will hold enough tablets for your trip. Sounds like you have a chlorine demand of 4 ppm/day (a bit high btw...), so you will need about 1 large puck per day to counter that. You can get away with less if you bring the pool to SLAM level and/or cover it.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Get the pool spotless before you leave. Fill it almost to the top of the skimmer, too, to allow for evaporation. Raise the FC up to almost shock level and then drop the floater packed full of pucks in. That's what I've done for a week at a time in the summer and came back to a clear pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. High quality trichlor pucks it is.

Couple notes:
    - The FC demand is about 3 ppm/day right now. My pool volume estimate may be off. It goes up a bit when the July heat hits and the water temps increase. Although last year with a CYA of 80 I probably lost more because I had to carry a higher FC level. I'm not completely sure how this year will work out.
    - The pool has an auto filler - so thankfully I don't need to worry about the water level.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x