Question about In Ground Pump - 3 feet below water line

PaulC

Jun 2, 2016
NY
Hi

New to the forums and have spent a bit of time reading all the useful info – great site!!!

I bought a house last year and this is the first year of real pool use – used it briefly last year

My main question is around the circulation/pump/lack of any real activity in the water

Quick overview

In ground pool with around 14000 gallons

Has a Cartridge filter

Bought a new pump last year as when I opened it last year, the pump sounded like a rocket engine - so clearly needed to be replaced

I bought a 1HP pump last year and it is here – probably not the best by a long shot;

http://www.amerimerc.com/inground-pool-pumps~doheny-ig-pump.htm

Everything seems to circulate well, no apparent leaks, good pressure, etc

I have taken apart the filter and completely hosed out the cartridges and the housing unit

This is a Chlorine based pool

This is an old pool (maybe 20 years old) and has several issues which I am not sure can be easily rectified – here we go;

My issues are as follows

· In-ground pool (24 x 14 approx.), but pump actually sits around 3 feet below the water line, and maybe 20 feet from the skimmer area, due to how it was built – this would be impossible to change unless I re-plumbed everything (which would involve heavy digging and basically ripping up a lot of the yard)

· Lack of any real movement in the pool water – almost stagnant

· Only 1 skimmer and 1 return eyeball

· Dual main drains

· Suction on the skimmer is negligible and as I say, very, very little movement in the pool water, which gives me issues

This also has a solar system, with the panels on the roof of the house - so I guess, further pressure on the pump?

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU GUYS WOULD SUGGEST THAT I COULD DO OR EASILY CHANGE TO IMPROVE THIS?

Should I consider a more powerful pump or even say a 1.5hp above ground pump (since my pump is actually sitting 3 feet below water levels)

I think the issues is 2 fold – only 1 eyeball and the 1HP In Ground Pump being about 3 feet below the water line and having to push everything back up the hill – cant be easy

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Paul

Are there no valves on the suction/return side of the pump? There should be so the pump can be isolated. Otherwise, you can never empty the pump basket.

Your current pump should be more than big enough for your pool. Mine is only a 1/2 HP.

What is the filter pressure? Have you cleaned it recently?

Also, a pump below water level is no different than one above water level when comes to performance. The head curve does not change.

If you want to improve skimmer action, close off the main drain.

If it doesn't have a separate valve, it's probably plumbed into the skimmer. And if so, you need a diverter in the skimmer. Looks like a flying saucer, usually. That type works like this:
attachment.php

Thanks for the input guys

Yep - have cleaned out the filter, hosed all down as well as cleaning inside the unit itself - off just now but think it was around 15psi

There are certainly valves for the "main drain" and for the skimmer - both are fully open and appear to be functioning

Shown here - both CLOSED right now - main drain on left and skimmer on right

IMG_0309.jpg

Here is another picture

IMG_0311.jpg

The 2 vertical pipes go to the solar heating system

In terms of closing off the main drain valve - i take that is only on a temporary basis and needs to be left open in the main?

And sorry, I dont really understand the little graphic above regarding the float

It might be useful to get a picture with all the valves in the correct position because on the bottom picture, the two red handled solar valves are off while the actuated 3-way solar valve is directing flow to the panels so that is a dead head situation.

I leave my main drain open a slight amount, just to avoid temperature stratification. If I'm brushing, it's wide open and the skimmer is off to hopefully pull any dust in before it can resettle. When vacuuming. main drain is closed, unless the pump is pulling so hard the vacuum sticks. Then it gets cracked enough to free the vacuum.

the two red handled solar valves are off while the actuated 3-way solar valve is directing flow to the panels so that is a dead head situation.

When the solar valves are OPEN, the black handled valve (3 way solar valve?) turns 180 degrees to face the other direction

Is that not correct?

I will also try closing the main drain valve a little to see what difference that makes

If I'm brushing, it's wide open and the skimmer is off to hopefully pull any dust in before it can resettle

Never knew about that either - thanks

The off position of a three way valve is opposite of the handle direction. So in the picture above, water is routed to the right (direction of the handle) instead of to left which is the bypass position. I think you have the water flow basically shut off. What is the filter pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.