Trying to help friend

kschmidt1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2015
Grandy, NC
HI - neighbor hasn't yet found her way to TFP. Dealing with algea, I offered to bring my testing supplies and find out what going on. Pool AG round, 19300 gal, Hayward sand filter, 3/4 HP pump.

FC - 0
CC - 16
Ph 7.4
CYA - up ti fill on K2006 and still see dot

Knowing she needed SLAMI put in 2.6# cya and we dumped 3 gal 8.25 wallyworld chlorine. (about 6pm last nite) (Found she had added a "90 day algaecide" over weekend) She checked FC around 8:30 (3ppm) had her add 1-1/2 gal bleach. She tested 6AM and again added 1-1/2 gal bleach.( Also she had been brushing and backwashed pool several times over weekend, so alot was already cleaned of stuff)

Since she works, I agreed to do testing and bumping today (did two refills on own pool last year) know how important keeping slam le vels up. Tested again at 10:30, same 3ppmFC, added two gallons and again at noon, 3ppmFC, added another two gallons. Will say pool color now a light aqua green.

Did a CC and at least ha dropped to 13PPM. Checked CYA even though we are in rain mode, the sample was at least cloudy now and level seemed to be about 40ppm.

Keep doing what we have been? Was seeming strange tests were coming up consistent, loss to 3ppm each time)

Thanks

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't take it personal when she decides to go another direction. I have been in this situation and unless someone understands what is going on and wants to fix it themselves they tend to make left turns. Like the algecide, many look for the shortcut or miracle cure.

The only way to get it clear is to follow the SLAM directions completely to the end.

Has she ordered her own test kit? In my mind this is the telling fact that someone has taken ownership and want to fix things.

35 gal bleach later SLAM #

FC - (slam 16) average 14
CC - .5

Overnite last nite, OLCT 2.0. Adding 2-3 qt every 90 min almost sparkles, thinking tonite OLCT should do it.

Would it be safe to swim in today?

Thanks.

35 gal bleach later SLAM #

FC - (slam 16) average 14
CC - .5

Overnite last nite, OLCT 2.0. Adding 2-3 qt every 90 min almost sparkles, thinking tonite OLCT should do it.

Would it be safe to swim in today?

Thanks.
It probably won;t be fatal, but it could leave swimmers with irritated skin and eyes and whitened swimsuits.

You don't know what the pH level is anymore and you can't test it accurately when FC is above 10. As long as FC is below shock level, it should be okay that way.

On the plus side... it's a lot easier to remove lights and scrub around return jet threads and inside skimmer throats and beneath ladder rungs from inside the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.