Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to help friend

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to help friend

HI - neighbor hasn't yet found her way to TFP. Dealing with algea, I offered to bring my testing supplies and find out what going on. Pool AG round, 19300 gal, Hayward sand filter, 3/4 HP pump.

FC - 0
    CC - 16
    Ph 7.4
    CYA - up ti fill on K2006 and still see dot

Knowing she needed SLAMI put in 2.6# cya and we dumped 3 gal 8.25 wallyworld chlorine. (about 6pm last nite) (Found she had added a "90 day algaecide" over weekend) She checked FC around 8:30 (3ppm) had her add 1-1/2 gal bleach. She tested 6AM and again added 1-1/2 gal bleach.( Also she had been brushing and backwashed pool several times over weekend, so alot was already cleaned of stuff)

Since she works, I agreed to do testing and bumping today (did two refills on own pool last year) know how important keeping slam le vels up. Tested again at 10:30, same 3ppmFC, added two gallons and again at noon, 3ppmFC, added another two gallons. Will say pool color now a light aqua green.

Did a CC and at least ha dropped to 13PPM. Checked CYA even though we are in rain mode, the sample was at least cloudy now and level seemed to be about 40ppm.

Keep doing what we have been? Was seeming strange tests were coming up consistent, loss to 3ppm each time)

Thanks
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to help friend

Keep on going. It can take some time. When I SLAMmed my pool (years ago, thank goodness) it took two weeks. Helped a friend with his little 9,000 gallon pool and his took three weeks.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for encouragement (???) Robbie
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't take it personal when she decides to go another direction. I have been in this situation and unless someone understands what is going on and wants to fix it themselves they tend to make left turns. Like the algecide, many look for the shortcut or miracle cure.

The only way to get it clear is to follow the SLAM directions completely to the end.

Has she ordered her own test kit? In my mind this is the telling fact that someone has taken ownership and want to fix things.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    Thanks for encouragement (???) Robbie
    Hehe, I always get that when I say it can take weeks. It actually is encouragement. You are doing the right thing, keep going!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Tim - I've mentioned how easy things are once "converted". She said she would be reading website. We'll see.

7. Back To Top    #7

35 gal bleach later SLAM #

FC - (slam 16) average 14
    CC - .5

Overnite last nite, OLCT 2.0. Adding 2-3 qt every 90 min almost sparkles, thinking tonite OLCT should do it.

Would it be safe to swim in today?

Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    35 gal bleach later SLAM #

FC - (slam 16) average 14
    CC - .5

Overnite last nite, OLCT 2.0. Adding 2-3 qt every 90 min almost sparkles, thinking tonite OLCT should do it.

Would it be safe to swim in today?

Thanks.
    It probably won;t be fatal, but it could leave swimmers with irritated skin and eyes and whitened swimsuits.

You don't know what the pH level is anymore and you can't test it accurately when FC is above 10. As long as FC is below shock level, it should be okay that way.

On the plus side... it's a lot easier to remove lights and scrub around return jet threads and inside skimmer throats and beneath ladder rungs from inside the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!