Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening a swampie pool. I read Pool School...

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening a swampie pool. I read Pool School...

I went to work on my pool last week and realized that my cartridge filter pump was bad. Just got the new one in today and I'm ready to get started. I just need some help. I read pool school and sparkling oasis but there isn't a ton of info (that I could find) about how those treatment plans affect SWGs and if they should be running during SLAMs. My SWG has a pretty nasty algae bloom inside of it :S. I'm pretty new to all this and just winged it last year. Any advice (or step-by-step instructions) would be so appreciated! Also, somehow all my test strips bleached out so I've got to get new ones but we're starting from zero maintenance all winter.
    16ft x48in round, above ground with a SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Opening a swampie pool. I read Pool School...

Welcome!

I wouldn't bother with guess strips, they are near worthless. There is a link in my sig for TFTestKits. Order one of those or a Taylor 2006C today, then we can get going.

SWG are turned off for SLAMs.

How's the water look now? e: It's in the title. Swampy. Add a half bottle of bleach every day until you get your test kit.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

+1 to ordering a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Get the XL size for your SLAM.
    Scoop, brush and add 1/2 jug of bleach daily while you wait for your kit.

And read up, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

So what's the difference between test strips and kits?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I could use some clarification on the bleach thing. I know there is liquid chlorine, is that what y'all are referring to?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Test strips are (nearly) useless, a proper test kit will have you testing all the things that are important to keep your pool TFP sparkly.

Clorox, Great Value bleach or 10% Chlorinating Liquid from Wal-Mart, yep!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

The active ingredient in beach = Sodium Hypochlorite = Liquid chlorine.

The only variables are strength, price, and volume. Regular Clorox is between 3-6%, Concentrated Clorox is 8.25%. Both can be found in 121 oz. "gallon" jugs. "Liquid chlorine" typically ranges in strength between 10% and 12.5% (as stated on the bottle), but can be found in true 128 oz. gallon jugs or larger.

To save on cost, you don't always have to use name brand. You can use generic, just not anything with additives (i.e. scented or spashless). Regarding price, there is a thread discussing where one can find current year deals. there is also a link that will break down cost per active oz.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, y'all!
    16ft x48in round, above ground with a SWG.