I opened my pool on Sunday. Water was cloudy, green floor. I ran out of bleach at the end of the season last year, and covered it on the onset of an algae attack. Figured smothering the growth without sunlight for several months would keep it at bay. Thought wrong?
Anyhow, I shocked the snot out of it with bleach. I've been using TFP method for several years now. I'm comfortable with all my numbers, except CYA. Initially my CYA was very high, as I was converting from 3" tabs. I got it down to around 50 ppm, where it has been for several years, drifting down ever so slowly to I estimated it at about 45ppm exactly one year ago. (I only test at the beginning of the season as my understanding is only splash out decreases your number).
Anyway, I've noticed my chlorine dropped rapidly after shocking, and even though I start each day with around 6ppm, it's down to 2.5-3 at the end of the day. That's much faster usage than I'm used to. I don't have a solar cover yet this year, but I didn't think it protected chlorine that much anyhow. Retested CYA finally this morning and I was able to fill the cylinder and still see the black dot. I'm assuming it is all gone.
I've read that ammonia consumes CYA? I haven't had enough time to research this, but would like to get this resolved ASAP, as I'm using 2x the bleach as usual without any CYA protecting my FCs.
A side note, if it sounds like I'm being a bit carefree with my chemistry, it is because I am. Not because I want to, but I currently have 5 kids 5 and under, and I'm preoccupied keeping the wife happy. Me fiddling with pool tests all day doesn't help her take care of the children. (Twin girls are 7 months old and a handlful right now) I have NOT run a full test this year, but everything has been stable until the CYA took a nose dive. PH is about 7.3 also. Please forgive me for being careless, I'm trying to do my job with the pool, without spending too much time there.