Started my SLAM last Friday on a new to us above ground pool that was basically a swamp. Everything was going well until I started noticing water loss. Fearing a leak I tried to finish my SLAM so I could get in and investigate liner with goggles.
Well last night I was brushing and getting rid of the last of the swamp crud that I could now see more clearly and much to my surprise water started pouring out from the bottom edge of the pool wall.
Long story short the pool is now empty, a new liner will be installed.
So if I could pass on a lesson learned I would recommend re-thinking reviving that old swampy above ground pool with a SLAM
1.Maybe take the time to drain it and inspect the condition of the liner and wall components.
2. I knew very little of the history of chemicals used in this pool so the liner may have been compromised. Who knows? There was definitely risk of using existing materials. I realize that now!
3. After the pool was completely empty I found plastic pool cover clips with sharp corners, rusty nails (yes! nails!!). Even after vacuuming, leaf raking and brushing I had no clue any of that was in there because I couldn't see the bottom clearly.
I unfortunately went through quite a bit of testing materials and a little liquid chlorine. Still though not that much $$ was lost. But I am starting over.
Now I'll have peace of mind knowing my liner is new! And I know how to do a SLAM already!
I will have a TFP come he77 or high water!!
(father of a very disappointed 3 year old that was looking forward to swimming this weekend)