Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is PoolMath & Recommended Levels Different

1. Back To Top    #1

Is PoolMath & Recommended Levels Different

Am I missing something or is there a mistake one one of these?

In pool Math for a SWG pool, it recommends a target of 9 with a CYA of 60.

pm1.jpg

On the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart it recommends a target of 4 with CYA of 60.

poolschoolRecomenation.png
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is PoolMath & Recommended Levels Different

I think you may be using a different calculator. Make sure you're using the one from my signature below or from the TFP Home Page (tab).

Then, ensure at the bottom you select the 3 criteria (Troublefreepools, your type pool, and how you chlorinate).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It does the same for me on SWG recommendations.

The target will vary depending on situation. The critical part is to always stay above minimum. As long as you have enough FC to stay above minimum until your next test and dose, your target is good.

And really, why worry about target on a SWG pool? If you're plugging FC into poolmath to get a dose, you've sort of reverted to a bleach pool which will have higher values.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I think you may be using a different calculator. Make sure you're using the one from my signature below or from the TFP Home Page (tab).

Then, ensure at the bottom you select the 3 criteria (Troublefreepools, your type pool, and how you chlorinate).
    Yes, it is a spreadsheet that someone created on this site and everything is set at the bottom. The numbers match PoolMath.

I understand that there are variables but I also know that then there are discrepancies or something does not match people might get confused. I am fine but it might be something that should be reviewed as it appears that at other scenarios, the 2 sources don't match up for FC in regard to the recommended range/Goal.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

The PoolMath target is for non-SWG pools. Only a different minimum is provided for a SWG pool. Either way, the target is pretty meaningless. The key is to always stay above the minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Slight discrepancy for my non-SWG pool with a CYA of 70 for the target. FC target of 8 on the chart and 10 on PoolMath. Both have a lower/minimum FC of 5.
    40x20 IG vinyl (~30k gallons) * Pentair FNS Plus DE filter * Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump * RayPak RP2100 natural gas heater * TF-100 test kit