Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool heater, (H400PED2), finally gave out....

1. Back To Top    #1

Question My pool heater, (H400PED2), finally gave out....

Looking for a modern match, (propane). It's mostly for the Jacuzzi. Still want to stick with Hayward though. Any suggestions? So far my limited research has turned up with this one with similar specs:

Amazon.com : Hayward H400FDP Universal H-Series Low NOx 400, 000 BTU Propane Gas Residential Pool and Spa Heater : Swimming Pool Solar Heaters : Patio, Lawn Garden

But I want to make absolutely sure.
    "There is no replacement for displacement...and then came a supercharger".....

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: My pool heater, (H400PED2), finally gave out....

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do not buy a Hayward. Raypak/Rheem is the better brand on the market today. The newer Hayward's have many issues as well as extra parts on them that when they fail, which they do pretty quickly, you won't be happy with the bill. Go with the Raypak/Rheem and you will be happier. Also keep in mind that if you buy this online and do not have it installed by a licensed installer, the warranty is pretty much voided.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey thanks! So these manufacturers do not honor their warranty unless they're installed by their qualified people? Wow! Thanks for the heads up. The Hayward has a one year warranty. That's not a heck of a lot for a long life utility. My skills are generally better or just as good as any installer. It took three technicians to diagnose my failing unit, (I already knew what it was before I called them but I wanted to see how good they were).

This is not rocket science. But if the local municipality only accepts a licensed installer, then I have no choice. Besides you'd be surprised at the quotes I got from my local rip-offs. And you're absolutely right about the dangers. I am fully aware of what precautions one has to take. May not be complicated, but one simple error is all it takes for one to end up in a hospital or worst.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'm in the business so I am sure the quotes you received are pretty much the average for the area.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like a self-serving industry. Too bad you have a limited source of quality products. Reviews on the Raypak/Rheem are not much better than Hayward. Poor engineering and poor customer service are frequently mentioned. Seems like the better reviews for Raypak/Rheem are coming from the installers. Life expectancy is not much better than a Hayward which begins to peter out at about five years if one is lucky to get that far. .

6. Back To Top    #6

Just my $.02, but I would rather trust a highly contributing member of the forum that does it for a living vs. a bunch of online reviews - even with that avatar! The fact is lots of things work until they don't and he is saying that Hayward has extraneous parts that are expensive to replace when they fail. Trust the installers. Minimal parts to go wrong is what sold me on a Raypak and I couldn't be happier, albeit just going into my second season with it.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

So the Raypak/Rheem is working out for you just fine. Good to hear you shine-in. Not saying that I don't trust the advise given. He actually seems to take pride in his opinion pieces, (as you mentioned he's a highly respected contributor). And about that avatar....lol!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I will only chime in on this one in regards to online reviews. Not many people get online to give good reviews but, boy let one minor thing happen and wham, the bad review gets written fast. I don't know the sales numbers for either company so it is hard to tell just from the reviews which is the better unit. I do know this, the more complicated stuff on the unit the more problems will happen.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    I will only chime in on this one in regards to online reviews. Not many people get online to give good reviews but, boy let one minor thing happen and wham, the bad review gets written fast. I don't know the sales numbers for either company so it is hard to tell just from the reviews which is the better unit. I do know this, the more complicated stuff on the unit the more problems will happen.
    +1 to that statement.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad you thought that was funny, others don't haha

You have a LoNOx unit listed above as well. Unless that is required for your area (I think CA requires) stick with a standard unit. Most if not all LoNOx units require a draft fans and other things that can go bad. My raypak doesn't have any fans on it, basically just a burner tray and heat exchanger!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I sell things that I don't want to hear back from the customer on. So if I can sell something and not hear from a customer for maybe 7 years, believe it or not, I'm happy.

Look at the parts breakdown for a Hayward vs the Raypak. A big difference. All those extra parts on the Hayward or a Pentair, well they aren't cheap to replace/repair when they break. Yes many more of the Hayward and Pentair heaters out there and the reason why is on a new build an owner will get a three year warranty with all the same named product.

Like I said on a previous post today, I'm only providing you with real information but it's ultimately up to you if you want to follow it.

Like Big Tom Callahan said "I can get a heck of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's behind, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it." (Tommy Boy reference)
    Paul