Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLEASE HELP! Leak trouble shooting driving me mad.

1. Back To Top    #1

PLEASE HELP! Leak trouble shooting driving me mad.

So I have been fighting my pool since I opened it about 3 weeks ago. Everything worked fine for about 3 days. Then massive problems. I'm losing 2-3" in a 24 hour period when the pool is at its normal full level. The water level drops whether or not the pump is running. Along with the water loss I'm getting massive liner floating so much that I can pump water out from behind the liner for 4 to 6 hours at a time. I was winning the battle against algae for about a week but do to the leak and work I have now lost and the pool is green and is starting to smell like a swamp. The water loss seems to slow once water gets below the skimmers but I hear a gurgling noise coming from the both skimmers and I can no longer see water in them. The skimmer are currently isolated at the pump skid with the ball valve (I have separate isolations for each suction source, bottom drain, vacuum port, and one for each skimmer). I did get in the pool when I was winning the algae battle and did a dye test on all fittings and skimmers with no results. I'm seriously baffled how is that much water getting behind my liner without rain and with no very obvious hole.

PLEASE HELP
    Sincerely,
    the most frustrated pool owner ever
    In-ground vinyl with liner.
    Approx 30,000 gallons
    Came with house purchased in 2013
    Built in 1998 I believe.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PLEASE HELP! Leak trouble shooting driving me mad.

Welcome to TFP

The pool will always stop at the leak, just above the waterline will be where your leak is.. The hard part is (as you have seen) finding the leak. with that much water leaking out it is not a small leak.. How far down does the water stop leaking at or have you just been filling it as it goes down.. the leak could be in the bottom somewhere and you just can not see it.

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm still allowing it to sit to make sure level is no longer dropping. Do you recommend still attempting to clean the pool if level stops at safe spot to operate the pump even if I can't use the skimmers?
    Approx 30,000 gallons
    Built in 1998 I believe.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

The pool will always stop at the leak, just above the waterline will be where your leak is.. The hard part is (as you have seen) finding the leak. with that much water leaking out it is not a small leak.. How far down does the water stop leaking at or have you just been filling it as it goes down.. the leak could be in the bottom somewhere and you just can not see it.

I hope this helps
    That is not necessarily true if there is a high water table... and with a floating liner the water table is most likely very high.

Hire a diver. I fought a leak for a full year and finally sucked it up and hired someone. They put a small electric charge in the pool and that charge will seek ground and the only way to ground is a hole in the liner. My guy identified 3 or 4 large holes and a number of smaller ones and then patched / caulked everything and it hasn't leaked since!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Just thought I'd give an update. So I did end up finding a very large 4" diameter tear in the bottom corner of my liner (no idea how I missed it). Did a massive patch job using a patching kit and some extra liner I had lying around. So far water has held about 12 hours into placing the patch. Although I still suspect a leak somewhere else so my skimmers are currently plugged so I can test them one at a time. Otherwise chemicals are all right on and just waiting for the filter to remove all of the dead algae that has accumulated.
    Approx 30,000 gallons
    Built in 1998 I believe.