OK to take water sample with pump off?

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
Hi guys,

I like to take a sample of my water first thing in the morning. I run my pump during the day and I often take the sample prior to the pumps coming on. I just realized that may not be the most accurate to do this...if any changes were happening with chlorine loss, etc, would it happen at different depths? I'm not talking about SLAMING here, just daily water samples.

As always...Thanks

Hey Joe - Fellow Freehold guy here (I know my name says Howell, but I live in that area where I have the 07728 zip).

I think the key is to sample your water at consistent times every day. I prefer to sample a well "mixed" water. a.k.a after the pump has been running a while. As a trial, take a few tests also at the end of you pump running time to see if you are getting vastly different results than the morning. Depending on when and how you chlorinate, that is the only thing that I think will vary slightly.

Hi Mike Thanks....I like to take first thing before the sun starts working on it, but I my timer isnt set to turnm the pumps on till after that...This forum helped me get out of a nasty amonia situtaion last year....its been great. Can I asked what kind of SWG you have? I have about the same size pool and would really like to go with a Hayward, but Im afraid the b40K would be too small for my use. With that said, we only use our pools for 12 weeks out of the year so I am wondering what you have..

Thanks

My controls are the Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 (see sig line)

The cell is the Hayward T-Cell-15. After the original one ran it life (6 years), I switched to a generic cell. Got 3 years out of it and it went bad at the opening this season. I have a genuine T-cell-15 on it's way this time around.

Mike, so you got 6 years out of the original 40,000 gallon cell and the CL chlorinator? I assume it produced enough Chl for your pool? How about at peak times in the summer? may I ask how often you ran your pump?

Thanks for the info...leaning in that direction, just want to make sure I'll be able to produce enough Chl.

Thanks!

Maybe it was 5 and it punked out in the 6th. I can't remember exactly. Typical run time is 8 hours. I run from 10am to 6pm. 75% is a pretty good setting for me when I get my CYA up there to the 60-70 level. After a big weekend swim or bouts of 90+ weather in July I will jack it up to 100%. I am also not opposed to tossing in a gallon of bleach after a heavy weekend use here and there.

Like everything else that the guys preach here, test your water regularly and adjust accordingly. No system is 100% "set it and forget it". But, yes. It provides plenty of output.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.