Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK to take water sample with pump off?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK to take water sample with pump off?

Hi guys,

I like to take a sample of my water first thing in the morning. I run my pump during the day and I often take the sample prior to the pumps coming on. I just realized that may not be the most accurate to do this...if any changes were happening with chlorine loss, etc, would it happen at different depths? I'm not talking about SLAMING here, just daily water samples.

As always...Thanks
    38,000 gallon vinyl liner, True "L", Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK to take water sample with pump off?

It's best that the water has been circulating for at least 30 minutes.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Joe - Fellow Freehold guy here (I know my name says Howell, but I live in that area where I have the 07728 zip).

I think the key is to sample your water at consistent times every day. I prefer to sample a well "mixed" water. a.k.a after the pump has been running a while. As a trial, take a few tests also at the end of you pump running time to see if you are getting vastly different results than the morning. Depending on when and how you chlorinate, that is the only thing that I think will vary slightly.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Mike Thanks....I like to take first thing before the sun starts working on it, but I my timer isnt set to turnm the pumps on till after that...This forum helped me get out of a nasty amonia situtaion last year....its been great. Can I asked what kind of SWG you have? I have about the same size pool and would really like to go with a Hayward, but Im afraid the b40K would be too small for my use. With that said, we only use our pools for 12 weeks out of the year so I am wondering what you have..

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

My controls are the Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 (see sig line)

The cell is the Hayward T-Cell-15. After the original one ran it life (6 years), I switched to a generic cell. Got 3 years out of it and it went bad at the opening this season. I have a genuine T-cell-15 on it's way this time around.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

6. Back To Top    #6

Mike, so you got 6 years out of the original 40,000 gallon cell and the CL chlorinator? I assume it produced enough Chl for your pool? How about at peak times in the summer? may I ask how often you ran your pump?

Thanks for the info...leaning in that direction, just want to make sure I'll be able to produce enough Chl.

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe it was 5 and it punked out in the 6th. I can't remember exactly. Typical run time is 8 hours. I run from 10am to 6pm. 75% is a pretty good setting for me when I get my CYA up there to the 60-70 level. After a big weekend swim or bouts of 90+ weather in July I will jack it up to 100%. I am also not opposed to tossing in a gallon of bleach after a heavy weekend use here and there.

Like everything else that the guys preach here, test your water regularly and adjust accordingly. No system is 100% "set it and forget it". But, yes. It provides plenty of output.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats GREAT to know....I thiught mayeb I'd have to run my pumps 24 hrs...and I totally get adding some bleach when needed...

Thanks some much!