Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Prep new plumbing for future DIY solar

1. Back To Top    #1

New York

Prep new plumbing for future DIY solar

I am having a SWG installed by a professional and would like them to plumb my system for a future DIY solar project.

I am putting in a Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWG. For the DIY solar project, I Plan to purchase an above ground system and just feed low pressure water through it directly back into the pool bypassing the SWG (between gas heater and SWG). To do this, should I put in a T with a 2-way valve, or a 3-way valve? I think the 2-way valve may be better so I can better control the flow with how far it is opened by the Pentair actuator, and not close out the main return to the pool by accident. This setup currently exists, but with a cheap valve installed by the previous homeowner that has a garden hose connected.
    21' x 28" Grecian Vinyl Pool (@17k gallons) with Pentair SuperfloVS VS, Hayward sand filter with Zeosand, and Hayward gas heater. Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 (Pentair IC40 SWG), and Screen Logic interface. 2 skimmers with main drain on the intake side and two primary returns with two low flow bubbler returns at the stairs. Aquabot pool cleaner. TF-100 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Sacramento, CA

Re: Prep new plumbing for future DIY solar

The order should be filter, solar, gas heater then swg. Generally those are either on or off. Both the heater and solar are volume based you want as much flow as possible to move as much heat as they can generate to the pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall