So many choices for a new pump.

Chisek

Apr 19, 2016
Homer Glen, IL
Tonight I walked outside, my pump wasn't running & the breaker was tripped. I reset the breaker & it tripped instantly. It's a Hayward 1.5hp super pump. I'm assuming the pump is locked up. We bought the house last year & don't know how old the pump is. The pool was put in the ground in the early 80's. It's a 18x40 concrete pool with 1.5" pluming. I'm a 1st time owner & am overwhelmed with the amount of choices of pumps there are. Single speed, dual speed, variable speed... Should I buy a new pump or just replace the motor on my existing pump? Any recommendations would be extremely helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice is to replace the motor with a 2 speed motor and add a manual high / low double throw control switch, this assumes your pool is typical of the era and has no water features or integrated spa.

Ike

p.s. I see the slide in your avatar photo, if you go with a 2 speed pump and the slide gets its water from a line that diverts from the pool pump then you might have to switch it to high to use the slide, otherwise the pump can run at low speed except when backwashing (assuming sand filter) or vacuuming

p.p.s. before you do anything else make sure something is not wedged into the impeller blocking it from turning

It'd be worth a quick look to verify the wiring is secure and there isn't an obvious short anywhere. Take the cover off where the wiring enters the pump (obviously with the power off) and give it a good looksee.

If the motor is fried, assuming you have the single-speed super pump, you can definitely save some power going to a 2-speed setup. Same is true for a variable speed, except the entry cost is higher, and potential payback time will be longer.

If the wet-end of the pump is good, your least expensive path is to replace the motor. You could even replace the motor with a 2-speed capable version.

I will defiantly verify that the pump is done before I do anything. It is a single speed super pump. The water for my slide isn't supplies by the pump & there are no water features & I have a cartridge filter. A Pentair CCP420. Would there be a benefit going to a larger hp pump?

Nope. Bigger is not better unless you have some good reason for it (spa, water feature, too many skimmers).

Low speed, and longer run time is the name of the game. You'll use less power for the same amount of filtration.

Nope. Bigger is not better unless you have some good reason for it (spa, water feature, too many skimmers).

Low speed, and longer run time is the name of the game. You'll use less power for the same amount of filtration.

Thank you for your help. This is a learning curve for me. I'm having a little trouble figuring things out. There are 2 skimmers & a main drain. One of the skimmers had a plug in the suction hole. When I remove it there is a large difference in the amount of suction between the 2 skimmers. Also when I close the skimmers & try to pull just from the main drain it starves the pump of water. I replaced the seal on the top of the pump cover the other day but I still had the issue with the main drain. With the skimmers & main drain open everything seams to be operating fine.

Depending on how things are set up it may be designed to only run one (the prevailing downwind) skimmer at a time, so that you seasonally switch from using skimmer A to using skimmer B depending on the prevailing wind pattern. For example where I live the prevailing wind is from the northwest for about 7 or 8 months out of the year the rest of the time it is from the south.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.