Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Stenner install

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Stenner install

Call it Stenner for cheap-skates, because that's how I roll.

After reading almost everything in TFP about automated chlorination, I decided that the Stenner was the best overall option for us. The thing that bothered me though was the price and dimensions of the Stenner tanks. So I looked around and came up with a pretty reasonable alternative, and I'm sure others have come up with very similar setups.

One thing I have to say is that I was pretty surprised at the size and heft of the Stenner pump when it arrived. I knew the dimensions but was still picturing something smaller and lighter. This is a serious piece of machinery! The optional rain roof doesn't fit on the planned horizontal mount setup, so I zip tied some left over solar panel material to protect the unit from excessive sun and rain. You can pretty much throw anything on there, like a cut up plastic jug as long as there is space for air movement.

I found a blue 15 gallon tank at glasswatersystems.com for 50 bucks.

Everything else is very straight forward. I positioned the pump on the tank so there is no interference between the chlorine lines and filling area.

Here's the cost breakdown:

Stenner 85MPHP17 $208 Locke Well & Pump
    15 gal. Polyethylene tank 48 glasswatersystems.com
    Woods 50015 timer 19 Home Depot
    Mounting hardware 6

Total - $281, which is below the $300 I was shooting for.

I plan to dispense 3 times a day, noon, 3PM, and 6PM. This leaves a 3 hour buffer at both ends for clock skewing with the pump timer which is on from 9AM to 9PM. As this is a totally chlorine-novice effort, please feel free to add any advice or constructive criticism.

20160601_232311.jpg 20160601_232338.jpg
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Stenner install

Nice setup. I think that will work out just fine. I like the tank... Still weighing my options before I purchase but everything keeps leading me back to the Stenner pump.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

How do you plan to keep chlorine from being injected if one of your timers gets off on time? That Woods timer is going to inject chlorine at the set times regardless of whether the pool pump is on.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    How do you plan to keep chlorine from being injected if one of your timers gets off on time? That Woods timer is going to inject chlorine at the set times regardless of whether the pool pump is on.
    I worried about this during planning of my install. Other moderators on this site convinced me this was not an issue. The timer in my pump and the timer on the Stenner clocks are very accurate and maintain time accurately even during power outages. I have seen at most a +/- 1 minute change over a couple of months. I have been adjusting the clocks in both approximately quarterly.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by garyengr View Post
    I worried about this during planning of my install. Other moderators on this site convinced me this was not an issue. The timer in my pump and the timer on the Stenner clocks are very accurate and maintain time accurately even during power outages. I have seen at most a +/- 1 minute change over a couple of months. I have been adjusting the clocks in both approximately quarterly.

Gary
    I'm in the same boat and plan to operate my Stenner 10gpd on a woods wifi enabled timer I got from Amazon for $30. But I'm going an even cheaper route to get started for the storage tank, just a 5 gallon HDPE bucket. At a roughly half gallon a day appetite for chlorine, 5 gallons should give me 10 days, and that's plenty for me.

But regarding the timers getting out of sync, I don't see the worry, as long as you aren't trying to time the stenner to start and stop exactly with the pump. Plan for a much shorter run time of your stenner than of your pool pump, aim the stenner for running in the middle of the larger window, and any time fluctuations shouldn't matter much. Only way I could see issues is if you lose electricity a lot. I don't.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a concern because the pool pump is on a mechanical timer. If the power goes out for a few hours, then it's possible the Stenner will inject chlorine into a non-running system when the power comes back. In that case, the chlorine will dilute with the water still in the pipe and slowly drift down towards the pool. I've asked myself, what's the worst that can happen?, and I guess worst case is someone can get a bleached bathing suit if they are near the return when the filter pump comes back on. I'll see how it goes, maybe I'll replace the mechanical timer with a digital one if it looks like a problem.
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Poolray View Post
    It's a concern because the pool pump is on a mechanical timer. If the power goes out for a few hours, then it's possible the Stenner will inject chlorine into a non-running system when the power comes back. In that case, the chlorine will dilute with the water still in the pipe and slowly drift down towards the pool. I've asked myself, what's the worst that can happen?, and I guess worst case is someone can get a bleached bathing suit if they are near the return when the filter pump comes back on. I'll see how it goes, maybe I'll replace the mechanical timer with a digital one if it looks like a problem.
    That's along my line of thought as well. Fortunately for me, if my power went out for more than 10 minutes it would be a pretty significant event and I don't think it would be too hard for me to remember to go out and make sure the mechanical timer is still set properly.

To be honest, I check my mechanical timer for the correct time every time I open the cover to manually activate it. I just don't see it being an issue very often, and even if it did, it would inject a small amount of bleach into my pvc return line that would eventually get hit with a blast of water that would likely dilute it so much that even if a swimmer was pressed against the return jet they probably still wouldn't get bleached.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

8. Back To Top    #8

The bleaching action isn't the only concern with liquid chlorine. It's also very corrosive, so equipment like your pump or a heater could be damaged by having liquid chlorine injected without water flow.

Seems to me the very best option is a 240VAC repeat cycle timer powered by the same timer that runs the pump. Even then you could have trouble if you have a pump failure.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

If the heads of the bolts are in the tank not sure how long they will last being exposed to the chlorine.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl View Post
    If the heads of the bolts are in the tank not sure how long they will last being exposed to the chlorine.
    Beat me to it! Was thinking same thing.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl View Post
    I bought stainless steel. That's the $6 in mounting hardware. They are 10-24 button head allen cap screws, and under that is a neoprene washer to keep it water tight from above.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought stainless steel. That's the $6 in mounting hardware. They are 10-24 button head allen cap screws, and under that is a neoprene washer to keep it water tight from above.
    Depending upon the type of SS in the bolts, they could still be corroded by chlorine fumes in the tank. I would replace those bolts with plastic bolts LIKE THESE.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    Depending upon the type of SS in the bolts, they could still be corroded by chlorine fumes in the tank. I would replace those bolts with plastic bolts LIKE THESE.
    They are the Home depot variety of stainless, so I may be looking at plastic replacements soon enough. Thanks for the tip.