Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now house , old pool , cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

New house , old pool , no cover

Bought a new house in the fall with an above ground pool that was not running and green . Threw a cover on it that was left here for the winter and pulled my plugs . Had a company come out To "open" my pool . I believe they just dumped shock Into it and a chlorine floater . Now it has been cloudy for a week . Added shock again Saturday after calling the pool Company again . Should a pool take this long to clear up ? I've been back flushing my sand filter at least once a day after seeing my return water slow down a lot . Thanks for the help

2. Back To Top    #2

Now house , old pool , cloudy water

Bought a place with an above ground pool in the fall . Pool was not running and had no cover on it . Water was extra green . Had a colon come "open" it last week. Now the pool is still cloudy after they added shock and a chlorine floater . I backwash my sand filter at least once a day . Should it take this long to clear up , I Havnt really seen much improvement with clarity

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Now house , old pool , cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!

We need to see a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits to offer much advice.

To clear up a pool, you should follow the SLAM process, see Pool School (outside of tapatalk).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Get the XL so you have enough tests for a SLAM.

Once you get your test kit post some test results.

Then get ready to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to kill the algae once and for all.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

had a test ran at the pool place
    fac- 21.02
    tc 21.02
    ph 7.1
    total alk (input) 41
    total alk (adjusted) 22
    they gave me 10 lbs of alkaliity plus to put in and said that would clear it up. the pool had cleared up alot in the past couple of days

another thing i'm trying to figure out is how to take my weir door off to vaccuum. no tabs or screws to remove it so i'm clueless

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

We generally don't trust pool store testing and often find it to be worth the price you paid for their free testing.

We advocate testing your own water with a good test kit as mentioned above. The key number that is missing in those results above is your CYA. The amount of chlorine you need in your pool is dependent upon that number.

You shouldn't need to take the door off to vacuum. I'm not familiar with your setup but with my skimmer plate on the hose, after filling the hose with water, I attach my skimmer plate to the skimmer from above deck and not through skimmer opening.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html