Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinating Liquid vs. Clorox Bleach with BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinating Liquid vs. Clorox Bleach with BBB

Hi all,First time pool owner here; I have been soaking up as much information as I can over the past week. I have decided to go the BBB route instead of buying chemicals and adding them to my pool.I wanted to make sure I gave my pool a good shock and was comparing prices for bleach when I found a Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid at Walmart which is cheaper @ 2.50 vs their house brand bleach @ 2.97. Is it fine to use the chlorinating liquid or should I stick with bleach?Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinating Liquid vs. Clorox Bleach with BBB

Welcome to TFP!

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same chemical, just different strengths. Use whatever is the best deal. Put the correct setting in PoolMath.

Also realize there should never be a need to randomly "shock" the pool

What are your test results and what kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think Jason's auto correct is striking, bleach and liquid chlorine are both the same chemical, just different dilutions in water. Just be aware the stronger it is the shorter its shelf life, so check those coded pack dates. Usually some variation on year and day of year, plus maybe packing location code letter / letters, sometimes have the state abbreviation. So something like 2016-098-TX2 for the 98th day of 2016 packed in Texas facility #2
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to go with bleach because it is usually cheaper than liquid chlorine. Then I found the exact liquid you are talking about at Walmart as well. I have been using that to slam my pool and it is working just fine.
    24ft x 5ft above ground pool (16,900 gallons), Hayward Sand filter, located just outside of Syracuse, NY, in direct sunlight from sun-up until about 6pm. Controlling algae is a "Time Vampire"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same chemical, just different strengths. Use whatever is the best deal. Put the correct setting in PoolMath.

Also realize there should never be a need to randomly "shock" the pool

What are your test results and what kit are you using?
    I ordered the Taylor 100 kit after reading here. It is on its way. In the meantime the previous owner left me a test kit that allows me to test for Chlorine, pH, and Alkalinity.

Pool size: 400 sqft; 14000 gallons.
    Chlorine: 5
    pH : 7.4
    Alkalinity: 70
    CYA: 16 (based on pool store reading)
    Total Hardness (Calcium??): 58 (based on pool store reading)

Based on the above readings (mine + pool store), what is ideal brand for raising CYA and Hardness? Alkalinity, I am going to be adding baking soda per recommended dosage from calculator.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It would be best to just wait on the kit. Add a half bottle of bleach each day with the pump running and run some numbers when it arrives
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    It would be best to just wait on the kit. Add a half bottle of bleach each day with the pump running and run some numbers when it arrives
    Okay, so no need to worry about the CYA and Hardness in the mean time? Secondly, my own testing and pool store testing, of the alkalinity pretty much yielded same results.

8. Back To Top    #8

nope..wait until you get your own test kit, to be sure to get accurate results..your CYA is low (according the the pool store reading), but you can deal with that once you test for yourself. If true, you'll want to get your CYA up some more.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd also make sure the bleach you use has the percentage of sodium hypochlorite listed on the label.

I bought a gallon of Kroger brand bleach thinking I was getting a smoking deal. I then called the 800 number on the label just to be sure it was around 8.3%. It was 2.75%.
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Pentair Rebel