Rust at bottom of pool

Jun 1, 2016
Sacramento, CA
I just replaced a liner for my above ground pool. When replacing this liner, I noticed the wall seemed a bit old, not sure how old (has to be more than 5years) since this was my first time dealing with above ground pools. I noticed some rust at the bottom of the pool, but did not think too much of it. I patted it down with sand and put up pool wall foam. Didn't notice any damages to the wall after the water was in, however two months later, I was filling up the pool and forgot to turn off the hose in which it overfilled, spilling out. It wasn't too long before I noticed it spilling out. I turned off the hose water and now had a really full pool where the water level was well above the top of the skimmer. After that I noticed a crack and a small hole (size of an apple) in the bottom of the wall and I can see the liner peaking through where the small hole was.

My questions are:

Does the water level being well above the top of the skimmer affect the pool in any negative ways? Did the overspill cause the crack and hole? I realize that the rust was more serious than I thought and I believe the overspill was the result from it finally breaking.

What is the best option with being cost effective and still have a quality pool? Can I fix the hole without draining the pool? If I need to drain the pool to fix it, is there some company where they will drain your pool then put the water back in, so no waste of water? Or would it be more cost effective to drain and just refill with new water?

Should I just replace the whole pool wall all together, build from scratch? I also have a deck around a 30x15 above ground pool, so I believe removing the deck will also need to happen in which this would become more expensive. What ball park prices am I looking at?

I just bought this house a year ago and did not do any research on above ground pools. I realized I bought a house with a really old above ground pool where it is on its last year or so of life.

Please help!

Welcome to TFP. If the wall is cracked, it'll need replaced. Rusted holes the size of Apples are not small. It sounds like the pool has lived its life n needs put out of its misery before it causes you misery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.