Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you prefer to trim your solar cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you prefer to trim your solar cover?

Last season, I trimmed mine with a couple extra inches so it can fold upward to keep debris from falling into the pool. but I find myself fighting to flatten the cover to the water and looks bubbly.

I just laid out my new cover and is about to trim it down. I have a kidney shape pool. Was debating on if I should trim it down to the waterline or leave the folds again. Just wondering what the seasoned solar cover user are doing and what works well.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you prefer to trim your solar cover?

How well did that work on keeping junk out? I just put on an oversized cover, and I'm curious.

Does the cover resist draping on the walls? Would some radial slits help it conform to the walls better?
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is cut an inch or two inside the tile so that it sits flat on the water to prevent it getting picked up by the wind. Definitely have air bubbles under the cover. I've only had it on a few weeks but there seems to be no way to avoid the debris going into the pool when you remove it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

It does help when I spray debris into the skimmer basket walking the leaves with the garden hose but honestly it takes too much to time. Maybe I'll try with a pool brush this season. Dirt collects on top which I hate vacuuming out. I was hoping someone came up with a clever idea to roll it up and take the debris out of the water at the same time
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

I have given up trying to prevent all the debris from going in. We have our "SOP" for removing the cover to keep as minimal an amount of debris entering, but am ready with my leaf net to catch the gunk at the end of the roll. My bigger concern is the mucky water that will make its way into the pool when i am at the end. Now what i do is fold the over back onto itself at the end, preventing the water from going into the pool (well, as much as possible) - then once the cover is out of the pool, I lift it up to drain the excess water out of both ends...a pain in the you know what, but so is dirty tarp water! I find the heat loss prevention well worth the annoying daily tarp removal that i go through...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I trim mine slightly smaller than the pool. Helps keep the wind from rolling it up.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a rectangular pool, and I cut mine a couple inches wide, (end of last season) but I'm going to cut it smaller to lie flat on the water. Reeling the cover up, the excess material scrapes on the side of the coping and occasionally tries to fold over on itself.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.