Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pristine Blue User (Copper Based) instead of chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Pristine Blue User (Copper Based) instead of chlorine

Hello. I have used Pristine Blue for 20 years and have been happy with it. Any other PB users come across any issues?
    16*32, Vinyl, IG, Heyward Sand Filter, Aqua Genie. Use Copper Base (Pristine Blue) instead of Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pristine Blue User (Copper Based) instead of chlorine

Do you have any problems with blonde hair turning green or staining?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A lot of people here spend a lot of time and money trying to remove copper and copper stains from their pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey that's great, glad it's working well for you, and welcome to TFP! I understand the Romans used copper in their baths, but personally I prefer safe and effective modern technologies that pose no risk to my pretty new plaster or to what little is left of my blonde hair.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

We are camping for a week and the kids have been swimming a few days. We have noticed the white on our new swimsuits getting colored and I swear I see a tinge of green in my daughter's hair.

I am suspect of how they are keeping the pool clear, but starting to suspect copper
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just wrote this a few minutes ago regarding copper based algaecide, but it also applies to copper mineral systems:

Let me add one other thing to what has already been said, we strongly advise NOT using any copper based algaecides, they can cause stains in the pool, blond hair to turn green, and worst of all while they are somewhat effective at controlling algae, which is visible to the naked eye, but they do little or nothing to control bacteria and viruses so can make you assume clear water equals safe water which may not be the case. With properly chlorinated pools which do not have copper algaecide products in them, we can use the lack of algae as a proxy for the effectiveness of the chlorine against bacteria and viruses, since chlorine is roughly equally effective against most viruses and bacteria as it is against algae. Of course like CYA the only way to remove copper from a pool is through water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~