Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dog chewed threads on sand filter motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Dog chewed threads on sand filter motor

Earlier this spring, while I had the pool drained and taken apart, our Christmas puppy chewed the threads where the hose comes from the skimmer into the sand filter pump (see pic). At the time, I wasn't too worried about it, because the pipe would still screw onto the threads, so I thought it would be okay. Now that we're setting up the pool, the connection is not sound--it drips at a rate (my husband says) of about 2 gallons per hour. We tried applying pipe tape to the threads, but it still drips... any suggestions, or am I going to have to buy a whole new filter?IMG_5907.jpg
    18' x 42" Summer Escapes AG Pool; Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump (2800 gallon)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dog chewed threads on sand filter motor

Oh, never mind (I think)--I'm looking at the manual/parts breakdown for the filter... I forgot that the tank area (where those threads are) will come off from the motor part, and I can just buy a new one.
    18' x 42" Summer Escapes AG Pool; Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump (2800 gallon)

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd see if I couldn't find a rubber washer or O-ring to crush between the two surfaces. Smooth out any teeth marks on the end with a file so it's smooth. If it works, you saved a bunch of money and downtime. If it doesn't, you've wasted maybe a buck and a half.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Are there threads on the inside?

5. Back To Top    #5

Does that seal w a washer or by threads? If washer, smooth the end, if threads, and the other piece doesn't use all the thread, cut off the outside part?
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

When you're done, buy that dog a KONG Bone. We bought our Rottweiler one and she still has it after 4 years! She loves it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter