Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate?

Hi everyone,
    I have a tf-100 test and i dont think i ha e a way to measure Borate... yet on pool math, it says ph recommendations depend on Borate... help?

17500 gal in-ground, vinyl, hayward sand filter, polaris 380 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borate?

I think you need to adjust PH to where you want it before Borates. Borates stabilize PH making it harder to move after introduced into the pool. I had low PH, added Borates, then it took a little more Borax to increase PH. I bought a borate test kit in Amazon.

16 x 32 Sport Pool; Hayward Series Sand Filter S244T
    15,000 Gallons, In Ground with New Vinyl Liner
    Pool approx. Five Years Old. Live in KY

3. Back To Top    #3

My ph tends to be high and my fc low..

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't really read your PH levels but if it's 8.0 then just add Muriatic Acid in small intervals testing every 30 minutes. You will need more MA than usual but it's not that bad. Borates do not ruin anything- or cause problems below 100 PPM.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mtomey View Post
    My ph tends to be high and my fc low..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Mine always drifted up. Once my TA and PH was in line the borates kept them stable. Last year I had to add MA all the time. Not this year however.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Hi everyone,
    I have a tf-100 test and i dont think i ha e a way to measure Borate... yet on pool math, it says ph recommendations depend on Borate... help?
    I underlined what I think is the important part of the statement.

The answer is, if you've never added boric acid or borate granules to your pool, your borates are 0. Leave that item set at 0 and the other calculations will take that into account.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

I added the recommended 20 oz dry acid into a bucket of water and then to pool while walking around it... not correct? I did that and about an hour later added the bleach i needed.. it has been 1 hour since then.

So i guess i need to buy Borates, what product and where can i get it? So when i have TA and PH in a good range, i add Borates? What level Borate should i have? What test kit do i need to test Borates?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    I underlined what I think is the important part of the statement.

The answer is, if you've never added boric acid or borate granules to your pool, your borates are 0. Leave that item set at 0 and the other calculations will take that into account.
    I am not sure since this is our first year in this house and we only replaced half the water, added fiber cellulose, powder shocks from pool store and lots of Metal Free. After finding this site, i fought a green monster and have used soda ash last week to bring Ph up, bleach almost every day and dry acid today to bring it down.

9. Back To Top    #9

The borage test kit I used was Lamotte. 50 tests on Amazon are $13 approx. You can purchase boric acid from Duda Diesel.

10. Back To Top    #10

boric | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

Granules are best- but make sure PH is in line before introducing. Yes, it sounds as if you added the Acid correctly.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I am not sure since this is our first year in this house and we only replaced half the water, added fiber cellulose, powder shocks from pool store and lots of Metal Free. After finding this site, i fought a green monster and have used soda ash last week to bring Ph up, bleach almost every day and dry acid today to bring it down.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    It's unlikely that the previous owner added borates, but you can always test for it! I've been considering adding them myself.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't add borates to your pool yet. As mentioned, if you did not add them then enter 0 in Poolmath for calculations.

It is TA that needs to be adjusted before adding borates, usually to around 60.

TFTestkits.net sells borate tests.

More about borates here, Borates - Why and How
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach