Iron Filters for Topping Off

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Hi all - happy summer!

We have very, very hard well water. Last summer, our second summer with the pool, I started noticing iron stains. At first I thought it was dirt that just would not vacuum up... and then I did the vitamin C test. It was like using a magic eraser! Turns out, the entire liner was stained and I didn't even realize it because it was so uniform! We always "fill" with a pool water service, but throughout the summer we of course top off with our well water.

At the end of the season, we had to drain 99% of the water to fix a crevice that had formed under the liner. So the pool was then filled to the halfway point (from a pool water service - not our well). And this spring, it was filled the rest of the way again with a water delivery. Not one drop of our well water has gone into the pool at this point in time.

I plan to finish the job of getting rid of all of the stains with vitamin C tablets (what a task), but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good garden hose iron filter. I've seen anywhere from 25$ disposable ones to $150 filters. It will only be for topping off and not filling completely.

Also, should I start a regimen of adding a metal sequestrant?

Thanks for any advice!

but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good garden hose iron filter.
That's not enough horsepower. mechanical filtration of iron takes much more capacity than any hose-capping variety.

You can keep iron from your pool if you run your fill through a water softener. You can keep iron sequestered in your pool water with a CONSTANT dosage of sequestrant. Those are your two alternatives.....no other way unless you find another source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.