Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Iron Filters for Topping Off

1. Back To Top    #1

Iron Filters for Topping Off

Hi all - happy summer!

We have very, very hard well water. Last summer, our second summer with the pool, I started noticing iron stains. At first I thought it was dirt that just would not vacuum up... and then I did the vitamin C test. It was like using a magic eraser! Turns out, the entire liner was stained and I didn't even realize it because it was so uniform! We always "fill" with a pool water service, but throughout the summer we of course top off with our well water.

At the end of the season, we had to drain 99% of the water to fix a crevice that had formed under the liner. So the pool was then filled to the halfway point (from a pool water service - not our well). And this spring, it was filled the rest of the way again with a water delivery. Not one drop of our well water has gone into the pool at this point in time.

I plan to finish the job of getting rid of all of the stains with vitamin C tablets (what a task), but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good garden hose iron filter. I've seen anywhere from 25$ disposable ones to $150 filters. It will only be for topping off and not filling completely.

Also, should I start a regimen of adding a metal sequestrant?

Thanks for any advice!
    18'x32' Oval Radiant - 15,000 gallons - Semi Inground (built into hill) - vinyl liner.
    Doughboy Powerline XP1 2Hp Dual Speed Pump
    Doughboy Silica II Sand Filter
    Installed 6/20/2014

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Iron Filters for Topping Off

but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good garden hose iron filter.
    That's not enough horsepower. mechanical filtration of iron takes much more capacity than any hose-capping variety.

You can keep iron from your pool if you run your fill through a water softener. You can keep iron sequestered in your pool water with a CONSTANT dosage of sequestrant. Those are your two alternatives.....no other way unless you find another source.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave! Is there such thing as a garden hose water softener? And do you know of a brand? We looked into whole house filtration/water softener but hoo boy that's expensive. Going to get googling...
    18'x32' Oval Radiant - 15,000 gallons - Semi Inground (built into hill) - vinyl liner.
    Installed 6/20/2014

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello LaurenB,

I have had a lot of good results with the set-up mentioned in the following post:

garden hose iron filters

As Dave points out this will only capture certain size iron but for my well and application it seems to work well.
    IG Leisure Pools Riviera Freeform 34' (Fiberglass 16,100 gallons advertised, actual is around 12,000 gallons), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair Sand Dollar 80, ZeoLite Filter Media, Off-line Chlorinator (not in use), 48" Under Coping Waterfall, PAL-2000 Lights w/ Wireless Driver, TF-100 Test Kit, August 2015 Install

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Sacul19! I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably start a regimen of adding a sequestrant just to be safe as well.
    Installed 6/20/2014