Neglected Pool

Feb 23, 2010
Central NJ
Hi all

I purchased a house with a pool that hasn't been opened in 4 years

Here's what I know.

It's a lazy L unground liner pool with Approx 20x40 ft long. Installed 1980s
Liner was replaced about 5 years ago then pool never reopened.
Polaris cleaner pump not working
Sand filter with 1hp pump - working original to pool

We are draining pool in order to inspect

Pool professional already recommending new DE filter with new pump and potentially a new liner. Thoughts?

Anything else I need to do or look out for ?

You have nice filter equipment- what's wrong w the pump? No start at all, or doesn't circulate? Does it have power?
(One of my mentors told me, "It works better when it's plugged in.")
There could well be gunk blocking pipes if the pump runs.

IF you have high water levels, completely draining could pop the pool out of the ground. (!!)
What's the water look like?
What's the liner look like? Replacing it will get pricey. If it's intact...why bother?

FWIW, A two speed pump will save ++ electricity, and pool professionals make their living by selling and installing equipment and chemicals.

The big deal re maintaining a pool, (as a relative newbie) is getting the chemistry right. The filter is secondary.
More experienced members can feel free to correct me.
Good luck.

The cleaner pump is dead. It has power going to it but it won't turn on. The filter he says is barely big enough for the pool.

I think he want to drain about Hal to see if water got behind the liner. The water is so dark and dingy, you can't see anything

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.