So how am I doing?

pjl

Sep 26, 2015
Reisterstown, MD
First, thank you as a community helping each other and inviting me in. So, just opened the pool day before yesterday. Circulated the new/old water for a day, removed all the worms and then yesterday morning, guessing that the cya was at the lower range, poured 330 oz. of 8.25% bleach as suggested from the pool calculator for slaming @ FC-10. Latter in the day tested the water chemically speaking. Tested all myself with kit except for the exact FC and CC because I have the DPD type test, .5-5 scale, and I know I was above that. So I went to pool store for testing as well.

TC=6.5
FC=5.7
CC=0.8(calculated from above store test results)
TA=75
CH=130
Ph=6.8
CYA=38

I added 55oz. of washing soda to elevate Ph last evening.

Test this morning with my kit showed

FC and TC=>5
TA=100
CH=130
Ph=7.2
CYA=38
Water is crystal clear.

Not sure why TA rose. Yesterday the results I was able to ascertain from my kit matched the store test. Testing Ph throughout the day today stayed >5. I will take sample to store tomorrow for retesting and purchase a more precise Chlorine test.

So my question is how does this look? I know for reading in here that CH is lower than "ideal". My CYA was higher

I'd like to know how you got 75 TA initially. Drop tests go by 10s.

Anyway... that doesn't matter. Washing Soda raises TA as well as pH, so TA rise was to be expected.

38 (Call it 40) CYA is just fine. Where'd you get the idea it was too high?

Not sure what test kit you have, but if all you're lacking is the FAS-DPD test, TFTestkits.net

Your numbers look okay, and you say it's clear. If it is warm enough, I'd get in that pool. :splash:

Well Rich the titrate when testing TA showed a red tinge from the green on drop 7 and then full red on 8 so I had figured not 70 but not 80 either so I split the difference.

Anyways thanks for the washing soap info. The raise in TA was unexpected.

My post was cut off as I became logged out while typing it so as I submitted it the connection was gone and I received a blank web page. So I logged back in recalling that an auto-save feature had flashed in the corner of the typing field several times. I found the button and was so happy that what I thought was my whole message had been saved. Turns out it was the majority of my message. So to answer your question as to why I thought it, CYA, was too high; It was higher than I expected as I had just put a fresh 7-10k gal into it. Perhaps it was all that stabilizer from the prior year. That was before I joined here.

So Rich do you think I should slam it again? I mean with that CYA level it says the SLAM FC level to be 16. I attempted 10 by way of the pool calculator and it was down at 5.7 later that day. I put it in first thing in the morning but when reading through the booklet from the test kit today it says to shock at dusk to avoid initial sunlight damage. Next time.

What about CH? I read that it should be up at 220-330. Too low is not good for plaster, right?

Also any suggestion on the best way to maintain an FC level? I know daily checking and calculator but to keep it from fluctuating... Is it possible to arrive upon a general amount of bleach to add/day(s) for a particular pool circumstance?

Yes, bump CH up to 250.

To understand your chlorine usage (andPH) keep a log of your test results for a while and you will see a pattern on how your pool reacts to varying conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.