Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My new old pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

My new old pool.

Been creeping these forums a bit over the last couple of months. Finally bought my first ever home and the pool is a wreck and I'm not sure where to start. I DIY as much as possible and would love some advice like a recommended order of operations. I must save this pool. It is now my mission in life. any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: My new old pool.

Well, that smaller pump with the rotten tank, I think goes to a pressure side cleaner.

I see a probable drain and some rust stain removal attempts...

First order of business is to order a proper test kit.

Second is to get some water in that mess up to the middle of the skimmer and see if it holds and then try the pump.

If it holds water and circulates, then you get to figure out what valve goes where and what's leaking and all the rest.

Once your inventory is complete, then prioritize things. Circulation and filtration are first. Then if you're going to work on the rust, then you want to do that before you drain, so whatever ends up in the water gets flushed out. If an acid wash is called for, that gets done when it's empty.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My new old pool.

Welcome to TFP! In addition to Richard's comments, you should update your signature with as many details as you can figure out. You can estimate the volume of your pool with a pool volume calculator. Also, update your location with your state or Province.

Oh, and the Sears Hydro Glass pump and tank is probably a shallow well jet pump. So that is a source of ground water to fill the pool. The rusted tank is a problem because it's a pressure vessel and could fail catastrophically. If it is in fact a well pump, then don't use it until the pressure tank is replaced.

Looked again at the photo and I see the bladder in the bottom...It has already failed catastrophically!
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV