Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

Hello all, just bought a new house with a pool and I need some advice . The local pool store keeps giving me the runaround and I'm sick of it. Just got my Taylor K-2006 kit in the mail. Here are my numbers.

FC- 3.0
    CC- 1.2
    PH- 7.2
    TA- 130
    CH- 130
    CYA- 100

I'm new to all this and would appreciate any recommendations. I'm still learning about all the chemicals and I'm constantly looking over the Pool School but I'm still lost. Thanks in advance!
    23,000g | IG | vinyl | Pentair FNS Plus 48 Square Foot Fiberglass DE Filter | hayward 3/4 HP pump | Raypak Digital 199,500 BTU Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Welcome. I assume your Hayward Chlorinator is a puck dispenser? Your CYA is at least twice as high as it should be. Only way to lower it is to replace water. Thank the pucks for that. Your FC is Faaaar too low for your CYA level. See the chlorine/cya chart in Pool School. You'll need to follow our SLAM procedure in Pool School. We'll worry about TA later.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

So the pucks are causing the high CYA reading? At first I wasn't getting any chlorine reading at all so I added a floater as well. I guess that was the wrong decision, huh?
    23,000g | IG | vinyl | Pentair FNS Plus 48 Square Foot Fiberglass DE Filter | hayward 3/4 HP pump | Raypak Digital 199,500 BTU Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA test maxes out at 100 and it might be even higher. See step 9 on this page: Pool School - CYA

The pucks add CYA and eventually it gets too high and the only way to reduce is with drain and replace water.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I did the test over again and it looks more like CYA is 85. That's still too high correct? Should I drain a couple of inches instead of half the pool? Should I remove the floater as well? Shut the chlorinator off? Sorry for all the questions.

6. Back To Top    #6

At 80 to 90, you need to be 6 to 10. See this page: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If you were to drain 1/2 of your water, your CYA would be 40-50.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

So I have no choice but to drain half my water and then refill? And then SLAM it? Sorry just trying to get the steps down.

8. Back To Top    #8

Correct Kevin.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup, that's right. Drain half the water and then refill. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
    My CYA was~300 from years of 'professional' maintenance by my lawn service.
    You can use the drain water to water lawn or landscaping.
    Since you have CC > 0.5, you have too much organic stuff floating around, and you need to SLAM (after you drain and refill.)
    TC and FC should be almost identical, and CC <0.5.

The CYA 'stabilizes' the FC by binding some of it, so the effective level is lower.

Since you probably get ++ rain, your CYA would go down eventually, and you COULD just maintain FC at 12 until then.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

There's a LONG TECHNICAL discussion of high CYA levels at
    Pool Water Chemistry - Page 3

but the bottom line is, "it gets harder to manage at levels over ~50."

See the graph about 1 page down at
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/558-Pool-Water-Chemistry

Unless your water is very expensive, drain and refill is the easiest. A solar cover should warm it up pretty fast in Fl.
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok thank you everyone for your advice. I started draining the pool about an hour ago. After I refill what numbers should I be most concerned with before I SLAM?

11. Back To Top    #11

One more question. I get alot of leaves in the pool. I clean them out as soon as I can but they seem to fall constantly. Will this keep me from having "good", consistent levels? Thanks again.

12. Back To Top    #12

No, we have lots of trees that drop lots of stuff in our pool. We run the pump more when the trees are busy to keep debris in the skimmers and off the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

If you are doing a partial drain be very sure to test what your CYA really is because it maxes out at 100. I drained 3/4 of my pool only to fill it up and have a CYA reading of 100 again.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    The CYA test maxes out at 100 and it might be even higher. See step 9 on this page: Pool School - CYA

The pucks add CYA and eventually it gets too high and the only way to reduce is with drain and replace water.
    ~11,200 gallon in-ground, built ??, pebble tec, hayward 1hp single speed pump on timer, hayward 3025 cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey all, Im refilling my pool as we speak. Should be good to go tomorrow to test my CYA level. If it is in a good range I plan on starting the SLAM. But it's supposed to rain here pretty heavy tomorrow. Should I start the process or wait until the rain is over with? Thanks in advance.

15. Back To Top    #15

Start SLAMing, the rain won't hurt.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok I refilled my pool and let the filter run for a couple hours. I tested CYA and it is now 60. Drain more water or should I SLAM now?

17. Back To Top    #17

CYA is manageable at 60, just maintain the the correct FC level at target when your SLAM is complete. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok great thanks. I really appreciate your advice!

19. Back To Top    #19

Just finished SLAMming. Lost 1ppm of FC overnight, have .5 or a little lower CC and water is clear. Just tested as follows. Im letting the FC drop to proper levels from the SLAM.

FC- 18.5
    CC- .5
    PH- 7.6
    TA- 120
    CH- 110
    CYA- 55

What should I take care of next? Thanks!

20. Back To Top    #20

Well if your losing chlorine overnight the slam isn't over til the 3 criteria are met.

no over night loss of FC

water is clear

no CC above .5

Also have you brushed the pool? you need to do this daily 1-2 times.

This scrubs the algae off the walls (you may or may not see green) but
    if it goes cloudy white thats dead algae.

Run the pump 24/7 til the slam is done.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast