New Kent, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'll start by apologizing for the length of this post but I want to convey all of our steps so far. We purchased a house this spring with a pool neither my boyfriend or know anything about them (admittedly I have learned a lot the past few days). We have an 18ft round (about 8,000 gallons). We took the cover off and the water was crystal clear and still is. After getting everything hooked up we topped off the water and started the pump and filter. So far so good.bi used a shock that the previous owners left. I took a sample to the pool store and they told me the CYA is high (78 ppm). They advised to drain half the pool and refill.nthey said the shock I used wasn't "good quality" and that was causing the high CYA. Additionally we have a chlorinator feed coming off of the filter on the return line. They said the 3" puck chlorine would also increase CYA.

I was hesitant to drain half the pool so I called a few other pool stores for second and third opinions and was told draining was not necessary. They suggested we drain down to the skimmer and then refill. So we did. Some even said that a CYA of 78 ppm was in range but others are saying the proper range is 20-50ppm. I'm not sure who to trust! I took another sample to another pool store and the CYA was within their test range measuring at 80 ppm. (Note this was before we refilled). Anyway - using the test strips it looks like the CYA has come down.

The other issue is that we have well water which doesn't have any hardness (measured less than 5). The second pool store suggested we add 19lbs of hardness but in reading pool school post it sounds like with a vinyl pool liner we don't need to do that -- and I already bought the chemical.

Anyway - I am at a loss on what to do or who to trust. I am testing with the test strips and it looks like TA and pH are on the high side of ok- still within the range. Total chlorine and free chlorine are still a little high.

I am tempted to take another sample to the pool store but am scared they are going to try to sell me more things I don't need. Help!!

Hwy wahoo 98,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Everything we teach begins and ends with great testing. It conveys to us precise knowledge that we need to give you good advice.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......that'll get you started into what we are about.

Please don't put ANYTHING in your pool until you have an understanding of why you need it and what it will do. You will find that we suggest the least amount of chemistry to do the job.

Hi! Boy have you come to the right place! Funny how the pool store says their tests are "free" but how is it free if you would out every time with $$ worth of stuff??

Here at TFP all we ask for is smiles and thanks! So long as you have a good test kit we can teach you to care for your pool with stuff you can buy at Target or Walmart! Neat huh??

Look in my siggy for the test kit that is the best bang for the buck. It has more of the regents we use on a daily bases!

Kim:cat:

I first bought the Taylor test kit that checked pH and Chlorine. Then the girl said I needed the test strips. Measures 6 chemicals - TA pH CYA Total choline and total hardness. I am going to try to return the chemicals. We will see if they take them back!

I will definitely order the more advanced "good" kit. But am hoping we can get up and running soon. Very basic - dumb- question, but should you test while the pump is running? Will readings be out of whack if you take a sample after the pump hasn't run for a while (overnight)?

Also - what is the best chlorination method to keep CYA in check? We have an in line chlorine feed and I have read you can't use the non-stabilized chlorine in that.

First things first...CYA and chlorine do not keep each other in check, YOU do!

A good CYA reading is right around 30 or 40 for your pool, so you with?all need to dump half your water, assuming any pool store number is right, but I doubt it.

Concern yourself with pH, CYA and free chlorine to start.

To keep from adding more CYA when you add FC you use chlorine or bleach. That is what most of us use.

Look around your area for your best price for chlorine. Walmart has their "pool shock" on sell right now here. You can also get chlorine at your local pool $tore. Make sure it is fresh and easy to get to.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.