Free deck planing or service website?

Jun 9, 2015
East Meadow/NY
Hi there TFP,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a free deck planning website or service that I can use to draw up a pool deck for a permit application. Decks.com is great but I can manipulate the plans for a pool step cut in.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn't require engineering. They are allowing me to draw it up myself. I'm trying to figure out if i can just go with nailing the 2x6 rim joist to the 4x4 post. I'm only going 28" above grade.

I doubt they will allow the deck built in that fashion. That would place all of the deck's weight in a shear load on only the nails.

A 4x(H) beam should sit on top of a 4x4 post with a Simpson EPC or PC style post cap (or equivalent). The joists should span from beam to beam with joist blocking in between and an A35 (or equivalent) from the blocking to beam. I'll get you a detail tomorrow if needed.

The picture posted above was built in exactly that manner and was planned and inspected.

79dc575a82f8ae90f07b8c69744069bd.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure why you want to go the footing route though. You can likely float the deck on piers since the pool itself is doing the same thing.

Make sure that the lumber spans are within their rated capacities and positive connections are made between members.

The building department mentioned I can dig 36" then add cement but put some type of bracket down in the hole then attach post. Did I understand that correctly? Thought the brackets are attached on the footing above grade

The footing will sit 8" above the grade and protrude 36" deep. The anchors have a lower portion that gets embedded into the concrete, allows for a 1" standoff height, and has upper supports that provide a positive connection for the post.

The anchor details pictured above show that type of installation.

I don't think you are clear on what the building department is asking of you. It certainly sounds like they are looking for construction documents that show a foundation and framing plan as well as connection details. They may not want engineered but the lumber specs will need to meet the span ratings for live/dead loads, shear and uplift forces....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.