Finally remodeling my 30+ year old pool. I'm drawn to the Pentair Superflo VS (1.5 FRHP -- 342001) because of the relatively low-cost (for a VS), and the trivially easy to use external control inputs built into it, which make my home-grown automation system very simple to connect to it.
Some details about plumbing/equipment:
- 2.5" for the common return/suction paths to/from pad and pool. Each T's off to two runs of 2" near the pool.
- 2 skimmers
- Reused the existing 1.5" pipe coming up from the main drain and spa drain and adapted to 2" as soon as practical.
- spa has 4 jets. Need to select the jet size.
- 48sqft DE filter w/ 2" multi-port
- Solar coming soon
- Adding a Suction side cleaner ("The pool cleaner") -- 2" run from the wall to the pad.
Using Mark's most excellent spreadsheet, I'm figuring I should be fairly close to "Curve C" for dynamic head, or at least between A and C.
Existing pump is a WhisperFlo 1.5 (1.47 service factor). Old spa had no jets, just 3/4" pipes on the wall -- so I have no reference for what jet action to expect.
1) Am I asking too much from the medium head capabilities of the SuperFlo?
2) Are 7/16" jets about right for the SuperFlo (w/ 4 jets)?
3) Any other variable speed pumps (or other) worth considering with similarly easy and cheep "generic" external control capabilities? For reference, this how simple the superflo VS is to remotely activate any of the 4 programmable speed settings: