Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
Recently purchased a new home and the pool came with it.

21 foot round above ground in good shape.

However, I have always had a sand filter. With an adjustable level for backwash, filter etc.

This house came with a Hayward Perflex DE Filter and I am so out of my element. The "bump" handle (what the heck?), the cancer dust I have to scoop in the filter, the lack of an easy backwash option, the DE that comes out when I backwash half the time.

Just horrible.

Any suggestions? Should I just go buy a sand filter so I can get back to normal?

I don't use DE in my DE Filter. I use a cellulose product called Fiber Clear, but there are many different brands available. It works great without the cancer. We live on a dust bowl of a dirt road and chose DE to help keep the water polished. My water is always sparkling. My filter does not have a bump, so no help here.

I have the same filter, I love it. You charge it and watch for the pressure change, then turn it of and bump it a few times to rearrange the de on the grids. Why are you back washing so much, algae outbreak?

Charge it? Is that when you add the DE?

Every time I bump it, and then open the valve at the bottom, DE comes flushing out. So frustrating.

Glad to know someone else has this filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use DE in my DE Filter. I use a cellulose product called Fiber Clear, but there are many different brands available. It works great without the cancer. We live on a dust bowl of a dirt road and chose DE to help keep the water polished. My water is always sparkling. My filter does not have a bump, so no help here.

Interesting.

Does the Fiber Clear work as well as the DE?

Have you read the manual for the filter? Yes, charging it is replenishing the de. You don't have to treat it like a sand filter with the constant back washing, you have to watch the pressure to let it tell you when to bump it and when to flush it. Say the pressure rises, you turn off the pump and bump the handle a few times and then turn it back on, don't open the flush valve. Now the de is rearranged on the grids to capture more dirt. I'll have to find the manual to be sure but you only flush it and recharge when you have a fast pressure rise. I'll see if I can find you a link to the manual, is your the 40 or 50? Give it a chance, when you get into the swing of it, it's no biggie and you'll have super polished water.

I never used DE. But I've read cellulose actually works better. When you first start using it, you must have absolutely no DE in the filter. So you need to backwash then open and meticulously clean the grids before charging with cellulose.

Have you read the manual for the filter? Yes, charging it is replenishing the de. You don't have to treat it like a sand filter with the constant back washing, you have to watch the pressure to let it tell you when to bump it and when to flush it. Say the pressure rises, you turn off the pump and bump the handle a few times and then turn it back on, don't open the flush valve. Now the de is rearranged on the grids to capture more dirt. I'll have to find the manual to be sure but you only flush it and recharge when you have a fast pressure rise. I'll see if I can find you a link to the manual, is your the 40 or 50? Give it a chance, when you get into the swing of it, it's no biggie and you'll have super polished water.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a chance.

I have "bumped" it a few times just to see what happens and the pressure never changes. Maybe because it didn't need to bumped. My pressure is constantly at 21.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.