Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New home, annoying pool

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    New home, annoying pool

    Recently purchased a new home and the pool came with it.

    21 foot round above ground in good shape.

    However, I have always had a sand filter. With an adjustable level for backwash, filter etc.

    This house came with a Hayward Perflex DE Filter and I am so out of my element. The "bump" handle (what the heck?), the cancer dust I have to scoop in the filter, the lack of an easy backwash option, the DE that comes out when I backwash half the time.

    Just horrible.

    Any suggestions? Should I just go buy a sand filter so I can get back to normal?

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,052

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    If I moved and had a DE filter, I'd replace it with sand. But, DE filters the best (not that I care, my pool water is amazing). It's up to you though.

    Welcome to TFP!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,660

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    LOVE my sand filter! I will never have any other kind! Just saying..........I can put DE in my sand if I want the water extra polished.

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    122

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    I don't use DE in my DE Filter. I use a cellulose product called Fiber Clear, but there are many different brands available. It works great without the cancer. We live on a dust bowl of a dirt road and chose DE to help keep the water polished. My water is always sparkling. My filter does not have a bump, so no help here.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Kankakee Il
    Posts
    39

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    I have the same filter, I love it. You charge it and watch for the pressure change, then turn it of and bump it a few times to rearrange the de on the grids. Why are you back washing so much, algae outbreak?

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    Quote Originally Posted by jason176 View Post
    I have the same filter, I love it. You charge it and watch for the pressure change, then turn it of and bump it a few times to rearrange the de on the grids. Why are you back washing so much, algae outbreak?
    Charge it? Is that when you add the DE?

    Every time I bump it, and then open the valve at the bottom, DE comes flushing out. So frustrating.

    Glad to know someone else has this filter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    I don't use DE in my DE Filter. I use a cellulose product called Fiber Clear, but there are many different brands available. It works great without the cancer. We live on a dust bowl of a dirt road and chose DE to help keep the water polished. My water is always sparkling. My filter does not have a bump, so no help here.
    Interesting.

    Does the Fiber Clear work as well as the DE?

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Kankakee Il
    Posts
    39

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    Have you read the manual for the filter? Yes, charging it is replenishing the de. You don't have to treat it like a sand filter with the constant back washing, you have to watch the pressure to let it tell you when to bump it and when to flush it. Say the pressure rises, you turn off the pump and bump the handle a few times and then turn it back on, don't open the flush valve. Now the de is rearranged on the grids to capture more dirt. I'll have to find the manual to be sure but you only flush it and recharge when you have a fast pressure rise. I'll see if I can find you a link to the manual, is your the 40 or 50? Give it a chance, when you get into the swing of it, it's no biggie and you'll have super polished water.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    122

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    I never used DE. But I've read cellulose actually works better. When you first start using it, you must have absolutely no DE in the filter. So you need to backwash then open and meticulously clean the grids before charging with cellulose.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    Quote Originally Posted by jason176 View Post
    Have you read the manual for the filter? Yes, charging it is replenishing the de. You don't have to treat it like a sand filter with the constant back washing, you have to watch the pressure to let it tell you when to bump it and when to flush it. Say the pressure rises, you turn off the pump and bump the handle a few times and then turn it back on, don't open the flush valve. Now the de is rearranged on the grids to capture more dirt. I'll have to find the manual to be sure but you only flush it and recharge when you have a fast pressure rise. I'll see if I can find you a link to the manual, is your the 40 or 50? Give it a chance, when you get into the swing of it, it's no biggie and you'll have super polished water.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a chance.

    I have "bumped" it a few times just to see what happens and the pressure never changes. Maybe because it didn't need to bumped. My pressure is constantly at 21.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    I never used DE. But I've read cellulose actually works better. When you first start using it, you must have absolutely no DE in the filter. So you need to backwash then open and meticulously clean the grids before charging with cellulose.
    Thank you.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Kankakee Il
    Posts
    39

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    That seems high from the start, it might be due for a cleaning.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: New home, annoying pool

    Quote Originally Posted by jason176 View Post
    That seems high from the start, it might be due for a cleaning.
    I thought the same thing.

    I took it apart and cleaned all the long sticks (or whatever they call the things that hold the DE). Flushed it all out. And put it back together.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •