How much chlorine?

Jun 1, 2016
Brownwood, TX
Ok so I discovered TFP last summer (thank God!) and so this is my 2nd summer to open with TFP. I closed the pool properly last fall but there was a hole in my tarp and it's a swamp :(...so essentially all that work for nothing! So I have of course read the "turning your swamp back into an oasis" but had a question on what would be the average amount of gallons of chlorine for this whole process. I started the process Monday evening making sure my CYA, that started at 0, was at 30 and PH at 7.4. Since Monday evening I have used 30 gallons of 10% pool chlorinating liquid, purchased from Walmart, but still have not been able to get it to a shock level of 12 or keep it at half that range. I figured my CYA was too high but I checked it and I'm still at 30. Doesn't this seem like an excessive amount to have to add? I am seeing results but still dumping 10-12 gallons in a day. I am using a TF-100 test kit purchased last summer.

Thanks for for your Help!

Welcome to TFP! I see this is your first post.

It is impossible to know how much chlorine it will take. Some SLAMs take a few days, some take a few weeks. Way too many variables, unfortunately.

10-12 gallons per day seems excessive though for a 16,000 gallon pool. You are using a heaping scoop of DPD powder in a 10ml sample, then adding drops until clear, then dividing that in half, right?

Hello and welcome to TFP! Based on your description, you may have other issues going on besides just algae. Do this for me ..
- Use the poolmath calculator to raise your FC to 12. Test in 10 minutes. Is it still at 6 or above?

If it held to FC 6 or more, then you simply need to test and adjust FC more frequently for the SLAM.

If your FC dropped to almost nothing and your CC is high, then do THIS:

1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

It is critical that you stick to the time intervals. Do not let-up until the FC begins to win this battle and hold. Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome to TFP! I see this is your first post.

It is impossible to know how much chlorine it will take. Some SLAMs take a few days, some take a few weeks. Way too many variables, unfortunately.

10-12 gallons per day seems excessive though for a 16,000 gallon pool. You are using a heaping scoop of DPD powder in a 10ml sample, then adding drops until clear, then dividing that in half, right?

yes, it's cloudy still but no longer pink...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.