Into the Deep End aka Introducing myself

jm1

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2016
Burlingame CA
As the forum, and at least one reply said, "Introduce yourself." I'm James, living in northern CA, and our new-to-us house came with an old pool. The inspection told me we were close to doing a lot of work, and I'm glad I found the site and have read as much as I have -- I think we're in the deep end of it now...pump is not pumping much and the filter is definitely too small. I'll be jumping in to the forums over there shortly.

I'll start with a request here: I've found the tutorials on variable speed pumps (I like, but the voltage spike issues worry me), and the information on filter types, sizing pumps & filters, and many other tutorials and threads that make me feel like I left the dark. Is there a sticky thread, or other area that compares "quality" of equipment? Two local companies have bid me, proposing a Waterway filter, but I can't find much information on them. I get the feeling filters quality doesn't vary that much, at least for me, my equipment is inside a shed so weather is not an issue. So the second question is, any experiences with Waterway filters out there? (325 or 425 sq.ft)

Given costs, and what I'm seeing -- <150 sq.ft. cartridge on a 20K + gallon pool, I'm going to replace the filter ASAP, and then figure out pump (motor or whole thing; 2 speed or variable), unless I get shouted down here :eek:. I may try the DIY route for economy sake, but I think the bigger decision is getting the filter choice right.

Thanks again all, I learned so much by lurking, I almost didn't have to ask anything!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new old pool!

Ask your pump and filter questions in the Pumping Station forum and you will get plenty of answers. And/or you can start a thread in the Under Construction about your renovation.