Almost There - Bleach or Super Chlorinate?

Rebf

Jan 31, 2016
Southern CT
I have been working the past week to balance the water in our new pool. At this point I think I need to increase FC and keep working the pH and TA with muriatic acid and aeration, but I am getting a bit skittish. Could someone please review my test results and corresponding actions (see below) and let me know if you see a flaw in my approach? Also, do you think I should add bleach per Pool Math quantity or run the SWG to achieve the FC goal? How long would this take? I want to avoid waiting too long on the SWG in case I have an unknown problem caused by the out of balance water.

Thank you,

Per Taylor K2600 test kit May 28th:
FC 5
pH 8
TA 75
CH 170
CYA 30 (had been below lower limit of test May 26th)
Water temp 76
Salt 3500

I have added 28 lbs calcuim chloride (deicer) and 20 lbs stablizer. Meanwhile, the pool heated up due to sun, kids swam, we got 1.5" rain water and drained same amt.

Today my test results are:
FC 1.8 (was 1.6 yesterday but I ran pump on super chlorinate for few hours)
pH 7.4 (was 7.4 yesterday...added bit of acid yesterday...added more today...kept solar cover off during daytime)
TA 100 (see above)
CH 270
CYA 65 (last 4lbs of stablizer went in yesterday)
Temp 87
Salt 3400

I generally recommend using bleach to "catch up" rather than running the SWCG higher or longer.

I'm going to guess you targeted 70 for the CYA, so you have to get that FC up to at least 5.

You seem to understand what is going on. Take is slow and understand what yo are doing.

Also, do you think I should add bleach per Pool Math quantity or run the SWG to achieve the FC goal?
Li9ke Tim said, we like to use bleach for the "catch-up" phase or the SLAM and save the SWG to maintain a constant in the pool.

How does your water look?

It looks like you are using a 25 ml sample for FC. I suggest you change that to a 10 ml sample and get degradations of .5 ppm. Extended test kit directions will help you with that.

You sound like you have it and it sounds like your water is clear.....let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.