Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Almost There - Bleach or Super Chlorinate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Almost There - Bleach or Super Chlorinate?

I have been working the past week to balance the water in our new pool. At this point I think I need to increase FC and keep working the pH and TA with muriatic acid and aeration, but I am getting a bit skittish. Could someone please review my test results and corresponding actions (see below) and let me know if you see a flaw in my approach? Also, do you think I should add bleach per Pool Math quantity or run the SWG to achieve the FC goal? How long would this take? I want to avoid waiting too long on the SWG in case I have an unknown problem caused by the out of balance water.

Thank you,

Per Taylor K2600 test kit May 28th:
    FC 5
    pH 8
    TA 75
    CH 170
    CYA 30 (had been below lower limit of test May 26th)
    Water temp 76
    Salt 3500

I have added 28 lbs calcuim chloride (deicer) and 20 lbs stablizer. Meanwhile, the pool heated up due to sun, kids swam, we got 1.5" rain water and drained same amt.

Today my test results are:
    FC 1.8 (was 1.6 yesterday but I ran pump on super chlorinate for few hours)
    pH 7.4 (was 7.4 yesterday...added bit of acid yesterday...added more today...kept solar cover off during daytime)
    TA 100 (see above)
    CH 270
    CYA 65 (last 4lbs of stablizer went in yesterday)
    Temp 87
    Salt 3400
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Almost There - Bleach or Super Chlorinate?

I generally recommend using bleach to "catch up" rather than running the SWCG higher or longer.

I'm going to guess you targeted 70 for the CYA, so you have to get that FC up to at least 5.

You seem to understand what is going on. Take is slow and understand what yo are doing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you tim5055. I will add some bleach and more stabilizer if the CYA doesn't go up over the next few days after yesterday's addition has circulated a few times.
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Also, do you think I should add bleach per Pool Math quantity or run the SWG to achieve the FC goal?
    Li9ke Tim said, we like to use bleach for the "catch-up" phase or the SLAM and save the SWG to maintain a constant in the pool.

How does your water look?

It looks like you are using a 25 ml sample for FC. I suggest you change that to a 10 ml sample and get degradations of .5 ppm. Extended test kit directions will help you with that.

You sound like you have it and it sounds like your water is clear.....let us know.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Water is clear. FC was 5.6 at 6am. Looking good - feeling good.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can someone explain what caused OP's TA to go UP to 100 from 75 during an acid/aeration approach? He's running a SWG. Doesn't he want that closer to 60/70?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

7. Back To Top    #7

The only things that cause TA to go up are
    Baking soda
    Testing variance
    High TA fill water
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

OK? So what's the deal here? OP seems knowledgeable enough to that if he thought the testing variance was off, he would retest. I am surprised no one else finds this odd.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?