Help -2011 Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2 hp, 5 yrs old, HUMMIMG ONLY, no change

HI Folks,

I read the related posts but I cant pinpoint it to my problem.

I Had the pool closed last September after a trouble free season. I opened my pool for summer today, and discovered that the pump just hums loudly, I cannot seem to turn the impeller by hand, at least I think its the impeller Im reaching, only thing I can reach inside with my fingers once I remove the basket. While motor is humming I strongly wrapped side of pump with metal wrench, no change, but when I wrapped the back of pump, it stopped humming and tripped the circuit breaker. I reset breaker, turned on pump and still humming loudly.

Is it time for a new pump after only 5 yrs??? Geez I hope not, Or could it be a capacitor or centrifugal switch internally????

Thanks again for any guidance folks! Much appreciated!

Ed
Massachusetts

Did you ever have a leak at the bottom of the pump? That could be a sign rusted bearings seizing the motor shaft but you should confirm via the back of the motor if you can turn the shaft or not.

Replacement motors are usually cheaper than entire pumps plus you can get a two speed motor to save on energy costs.

Hey Guys,

Thank you,
I removed the rear cover, I found it too crowded in there to get around spring-plate assembly and expose shaft end to try and turn, so I removed the pump itself, removed spring-plate assembly, and exposed shaft (guess I could have done while installed), but with a wrench I finally turned and broke the shaft free to spin now, must have been badly corroded over the winter, shaft will turn with fingers/hand spin, but once i spin it and remove my hand, it stops, it will not continue to spin. Is that the proper "tension", or should I continue to work it to c if it spins on its own more freely after I start it with my hand? Also, replace run capacitor while I have the pump out and its easy to get to?
Thx
Ed

Plug it in and see if it starts but even if it does, the bearings are probably shot. It might work for a while though. I wouldn't replace the capacitor since the motor is on borrowed time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.