Help Me Figure out 1980s Pool Plumbing Setup

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hey guys, recently my pool pump controller went out on me (only 8 months old Pentair...), which made me start thinking about how they actually plumbed my pool back in the 1980's when they built it, and I was hoping someone may be able to help me to figure a few things out.

Lake Orlando Pool Diagram.jpg
Full Size Image:
https://smyl.es/img/Lake%20Orlando%20Pool%20Diagram.png
PDF available below

Pool Seat Jets
So at the pump I have a Jandy valve to select whether to direct flow from the pump to all the main jets, or to the two seat jets on the seat in the pool. Whenever this is turned on the jets have bubbles coming out of them sort of like spa, and you can hear the air being pulled in through these two small pipes that stick out of the ground. My assumption is that they somehow plumbed in these two pipes to pull in air when water is forced through the pipes causing this effect ... does anybody have any experience with this or know anything about this? I've never seen this before and can only assume based on what I hear and see when the pump is running.

Possible Pool Slide Plumbing??
There are two pipes sticking up out of the ground on the opposite side as the house, which I can only assume may be for something like a pool slide or something else? Does anybody have any ideas as to what this may be? I can clearly see one of the pipes has a direct connection into the pool, but the other pipe does not appear to have any direct connection, but does have a 90 on it going towards the pool.

Unknown Pool Seat Jet
There's also plumbing going from the side of my house (nowhere near the pump), to a jet/inlet on the side of the seat in the pool, and the only way I know this is because I stuck a hose in the pipe next to the house and found water coming out of that jet. There is another pipe next to the house that even after leaving hose running for 30 minutes, I could not find anywhere that the plumbing goes to. Anybody have any idea about this? Maybe some type of specialty device? Shower maybe? Who knows, this is the most confusing thing i've found and is driving me nuts!?

Skimmer/Main Drain Plumbing
At the pool pump there is only one 2" pipe going to the pool pump's inlet, but when I stuck a fish tape down the front hole inside the skimmer, it stops only a few inches down and makes me assume that the Equalizer is just capped off and not being used. But with that said, I have had times where the skimmer was low enough on water to when the pump ran it would suck out all the water in the skimmer, and eventually it would stop pulling from the skimmer but still continue to run (water in skimmer would just sit stagnant).

What confuses me is that everything I found online says that normally a pool would be built with either two pipes going to the inlet (where you could have a valve to select from skimmer or main drain), sometimes it is built using the equalizer where the main drain is connected to the skimmer, and you can then use a float valve (closed) to only pull from the main drain.

What is you guys thoughts on this? Do you think maybe the have some weird plumbing that connects the main drain and skimmer maybe before the pipe gets to the pump? I used to be an electrician and have used a locator many times, but never to try and locate actual water pipes (and I don't even know if that's safe to do in water).

Does anybody have any thoughts on what these guys were thinking when they built my pool? Any suggestions or ideas on how I could actually tone out (or really just locate) the plumbing for my pool?

I've also attached a PDF of the diagram I created for reference if anybody wants to be able to zoom in and what not.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions, comments, and thoughts, it is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Lake Orlando Pool Diagram.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
Spa Seat Jets you are spot on with that. The open pipes are to suck air in creating bubbles on the spa seat.

Pool Side Plumbing & unknown pool seat jet - No idea, but curious to see people's theories.

Main Drain Skimmer - I have photos of when my pool was built. I happen to have 2 skimmers and the one that is on the deep end side is indeed tied into the main drain. If you look at your drawing and instead of teeing it off where your question marks are, picture the amber colored line going from the main drain, straight up to the bottom of the skimmer and teed right there going back to the pump. If you have an inspection Camera/Boroscope perhaps you can probe from the skimmer hole. If your set up is like mine, the junction won't be far from there.

Spa Seat Jets you are spot on with that. The open pipes are to suck air in creating bubbles on the spa seat.

Pool Side Plumbing & unknown pool seat jet - No idea, but curious to see people's theories.

Main Drain Skimmer - I have photos of when my pool was built. I happen to have 2 skimmers and the one that is on the deep end side is indeed tied into the main drain. If you look at your drawing and instead of teeing it off where your question marks are, picture the amber colored line going from the main drain, straight up to the bottom of the skimmer and teed right there going back to the pump. If you have an inspection Camera/Boroscope perhaps you can probe from the skimmer hole. If your set up is like mine, the junction won't be far from there.

Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure I was right about the spa seat jets, and funny enough I actually did order a boroscope a few days ago so it should be here *hopefully* by this weekend and then I can check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.