Sand vs Cartridge

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings, I currently have this model pump Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

It works well, but takes forever after a spring opening "green pool" and SLAM to clear up the cloudy water. Plus I waste a lot of water backwashing this thing quite frequently.

I am considering going back to a cartridge filter for my small pool, namely this model. Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

I will then buy some aftermarket Filbur filters for it that can be cleaned and re-used. This will cut down on the amount of water wasted backwashing and hopefully keep my pool a little more sparkling clean like I prefer it.

Please comment on what your experiences have been using Sand vs Cart and whether or not this is an ok pump and filter for my pool, I am also using the Intex pool cleaner that works off the return side of the pump to keep the bottom clean.

Thanks in advance.

Joe, in my opinion either filter should do an adequate job for your size pool, and each has its share of pros & cons. I think your biggest obstacle right now is chemistry. No pump or amount of filtration will take care of algae or excessive organic matter in the pool. I'm just down the road from you and my pool is open and running year-round with chemicals adjusted throughout. But testing with one of TFPs recommended test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) is often overlooked and/or underrated. Testing your own water is the foundation for water clarity, sanitation, and good filtration.

Based on your two options above, I would stick with the sand filter. It's very popular with pool owners for its convenience and ease of use. Instead, use your $$ to order a TF-100 (link below) with speed stir to ensure your chemistry is spot-on. You would be surprised. Pool store testing and test strips are junk, and the only way you can be guaranteed of accurate results is to test your own water. It's what all of us do now. Our water is much better and save a ton of money by not buying chemicals we don't need.

Texas Splash, I do have the proper test kit you mentioned, what I am speaking to is the time it takes to clear up the dead algae "cloudy water" after the slam is completed and you have passed the Overnight loss test. So the water is balanced, it just seems that the cartridge filter would require less maintenance and loss of water to clean it.

When I previously ran the orig 1500GPH cartridge filter the water cleared up within a day or two. I have been running the sand filter for days, and backwashing as the pressure rises and still the water is cloudy and it seems to take forever to clear it. I was thinking of purchasing a cartridge filter and running in in tandem with the sand filter to perhaps catch the smaller particles that seem to pass through the sand filter as well.

Thanks for the input so far.

- - - Updated - - -

RobbieH, agreed, but I dont loose the balanced pool water when I clean the filter, and I can tell you cleaning those "quality carts" is not that time consuming or does it use as much water as backwashing.

Sand filter do not usually filter dead algae very well so a trick to clear the pool faster is to use a little DE in the filter.

Or how about this, would a filter sock, in the skimmer help with the cloudiness and take some of the load off of the sand filter.

PS Here are some results, keep in mind I am in the final stages of my spring slam.

FC=7
PH 7.2
CC=0.4

We had a heavy rain yesterday and the pump was off most of the afternoon, but running 24/7 before and since the rain.

For your post-SLAM process, have you already tried adding some DE to the sand? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Me personally, I love my cartridge filter. Even though mine is small (single stack) compared to most here (quads) requiring me to rinse it off more often, it's very easy. I don't waste a lot of water with backwashing so it does not effect my chemical levels either. Less parts to worry about too and my water looks great. It suits me, but then a filter fits a person and their needs. Except in some rare situations, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer when it comes to filters.

- - - Updated - - -

I ALWAYS have a skimmer sock locked & loaded in my skimmer. Always.

If you open and close the pool, do yourself a favor and install a filter bypass and vac to waste valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you open and close the pool, do yourself a favor and install a filter bypass and vac to waste valve.

Then he's back to using pool water, which is his complaint regarding his sand filter.

Sand filters are great. And in Seguin, you are probably better off not closing your pool. I never close mine, it's open year round. And no, I do not have a heater.

RobbieH, agreed on closing, but I get lazy in the winter and let it go, alas this is why I deal with it in the spring.

After speaking with the wife, she suggested I just be patient and wait for the sand filter to do it's job.. :( So no new toys for me. Besides the sand filter is one year old so I would rather spend the money on a nice LED fountain or something like that. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

I am also going to do a deep clean on the filter, I used old sand from another filter last year and thought I had cleaned it well, perhaps not, so I will do a deep clean and check it out to make sure it is ready to go.

I am new to this awesome site. So much info.
I need a new filter. The old Hayward EC40 DE filter is dying. Lasted about 25 years on my 15' X 30' X 48" AG pool.
I am thinking about a cartridge.
You love your smaller one and I was wondering what you have.
Thanks for the help.

For your post-SLAM process, have you already tried adding some DE to the sand? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Me personally, I love my cartridge filter. Even though mine is small (single stack) compared to most here (quads) requiring me to rinse it off more often, it's very easy. I don't waste a lot of water with backwashing so it does not effect my chemical levels either. Less parts to worry about too and my water looks great. It suits me, but then a filter fits a person and their needs. Except in some rare situations, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer when it comes to filters.

- - - Updated - - -

I ALWAYS have a skimmer sock locked & loaded in my skimmer. Always.

RobbieH, agreed on closing, but I get lazy in the winter and let it go, alas this is why I deal with it in the spring.

After speaking with the wife, she suggested I just be patient and wait for the sand filter to do it's job.. :( So no new toys for me. Besides the sand filter is one year old so I would rather spend the money on a nice LED fountain or something like that. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

I am also going to do a deep clean on the filter, I used old sand from another filter last year and thought I had cleaned it well, perhaps not, so I will do a deep clean and check it out to make sure it is ready to go.

Have you ever thought about installing a SWG? That way during those 'off' months you don't really have to maintain the water, just let the SWG do it for you (until the water temps are cold enough that algae won't grow anyway)....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.