Little piles of stuff on the bottom of my pool keeps returning.

So my pool is a salt water pool. We use the Simple Salt System. The water is very clear but I always get little piles of, what I'm guessing is algae but I don't know, on the bottom. Tried shocking, tried algaecide, i've vacuumed to waste more times than I can count, Ive cleaned my filter cartridge as many times as I've vaccuumed and it still returns. The water is balanced perfectly, pH, Alkalinity, etc. etc. I don't have a clue what else to do. Please help?? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I think you have identified it, algae.

Mineral based systems like Simple Salt are problematic at best. Are you willing to dump it and clear up your pool?

This is our third year with the Simple Salt System. We have decided if it doesn't work good this year, next year its over to a chlorine system. I appreciate the feedback. Thought it was algae but every time we have shocked the heck out of the pool it still comes back.
It's algae. When you "shocked the heck out of the pool" you knocked it back, but didn't eradicate it.

Read the link above about the SLAM.

Welcome to TFP.

Can you define what you consider shocking the heck outta the pool? When we ask for test results, we do so because it tells a story. Once upon a time there was a pool owner who used simple salt, had clumps of stuff in pool, the end! is not a complete story. That's all we have when you say water balance is perfect.

The only thing you have to lose is algae. Wouldn't you love a trouble free pool to enjoy this summer?

With a zero CYA you'll need to go to 10ppm FC. You can calculate it with Pool Math.The link is in Pool School.

You should really consider ditching the system you're working with especially if you have small children using the pool. The pathogens in your pool that can n will grow as the temps rise can be very dangerous.

Please order a recommended test kit before you start so you can accurately test your water and take control of your pool. The occupants of this pool, including yourself, deserve a safe swimming experience.

What kid of filter? Another possibility is DE from a torn grid if you use a DE filter. I had that problem once, thought it was algae. But it was DE blowing through a torn grid.

Sorry, just re-read and you mention a cartridge filter. So it's not DE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.