Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little piles of stuff on the bottom of my pool keeps returning.

1. Back To Top    #1

Little piles of stuff on the bottom of my pool keeps returning.

So my pool is a salt water pool. We use the Simple Salt System. The water is very clear but I always get little piles of, what I'm guessing is algae but I don't know, on the bottom. Tried shocking, tried algaecide, i've vacuumed to waste more times than I can count, Ive cleaned my filter cartridge as many times as I've vaccuumed and it still returns. The water is balanced perfectly, pH, Alkalinity, etc. etc. I don't have a clue what else to do. Please help?? Thanks!
    Pool is Above Ground 24'
    Simple Salt System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little piles of stuff on the bottom of my pool keeps returning.

Welcome to TFP!!

I think you have identified it, algae.

Mineral based systems like Simple Salt are problematic at best. Are you willing to dump it and clear up your pool?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Here is how we kill algae, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

This is what we think about mineral systems, Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

This is how we care for pools,
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    and
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

This is our third year with the Simple Salt System. We have decided if it doesn't work good this year, next year its over to a chlorine system. I appreciate the feedback. Thought it was algae but every time we have shocked the heck out of the pool it still comes back.
    Pool is Above Ground 24'
    Simple Salt System

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by stlhockey_fan View Post
    This is our third year with the Simple Salt System. We have decided if it doesn't work good this year, next year its over to a chlorine system. I appreciate the feedback. Thought it was algae but every time we have shocked the heck out of the pool it still comes back.
    It's algae. When you "shocked the heck out of the pool" you knocked it back, but didn't eradicate it.

Read the link above about the SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

Can you define what you consider shocking the heck outta the pool? When we ask for test results, we do so because it tells a story. Once upon a time there was a pool owner who used simple salt, had clumps of stuff in pool, the end! is not a complete story. That's all we have when you say water balance is perfect.

The only thing you have to lose is algae. Wouldn't you love a trouble free pool to enjoy this summer?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

5443332_04_springfield_xd_subcompact_mod__640.jpg
    FC 0
    pH 7.5
    CYA 0
    Which is kind of what I expect from a system that doesn't use chlorine.
    So I guess I just SLAM it for a few days?
    Pool is Above Ground 24'
    Simple Salt System

8. Back To Top    #8

With a zero CYA you'll need to go to 10ppm FC. You can calculate it with Pool Math.The link is in Pool School.

You should really consider ditching the system you're working with especially if you have small children using the pool. The pathogens in your pool that can n will grow as the temps rise can be very dangerous.

Please order a recommended test kit before you start so you can accurately test your water and take control of your pool. The occupants of this pool, including yourself, deserve a safe swimming experience.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks
    Pool is Above Ground 24'
    Simple Salt System

10. Back To Top    #10

What kid of filter? Another possibility is DE from a torn grid if you use a DE filter. I had that problem once, thought it was algae. But it was DE blowing through a torn grid.

Sorry, just re-read and you mention a cartridge filter. So it's not DE!
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.