Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dealing with the rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Collierville, TN

dealing with the rain

Just when I thought I was going to have a day to myself (my children went to me-me's) rains and turns a bit chilly!

In the past, I've dropped two water hoses and run the down the hill to drain off water. I was wondering if I just turn my filter to waste and drain off water.

Also, when would it be best to start draining. The water is over the skimmer now. Does it matter if it gets to high?

approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: dealing with the rain

When the water level is a little too high it doesn't cause any immediate problems. The skimmer won't skim if the water is above the top of the simmer, which will eventually cause problems. More importantly, you don't have any control over where the water goes if it starts overflowing the top of the pool. If it overflows, it is likely to erode away some of the dirt supporting the pool wall, which could eventually be a problem if it got serious.

So, you probably don't need to go running out in the rain, but I wouldn't completely ignore it either.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Metro St. louis Mo.

Re: dealing with the rain

When I'm faced with this situation, I use it as an opportunity to backkwash the filter, and take it down to the top of the skimmer.

22,000 IG vinyl; Swim Out; Sand Filter