Hayward h400 ignition failure

Jun 1, 2016
Jersey city nj
So ive purchased this unit 2 years ago and converter it from propane to gas last year and installed it. Was able to use it once or twice last year with no issue. I removed the heater as i was doing some backyard work earlier this year and reinstalled it about 2 weeks ago. When i went to start the heater it would not start it would cycle 3 times and i would get the IF - ignition failure code. I took apart the ignitor and clean all the contact points as they were a bit rusted and u were able to hear the ignitor intermittingly not clicking. I reinstalled it and watched for its spark and it is present turned the gas on and i tried it again. Still wouldnt start and i can smell the gas. Looked on these forums and saw about the spider webs in the orifices so i took them apart and cleaned them as i did see the spiderwebs put everything back together ran the unit and it started right up. The very next day i tried to start the heater and once again it wouldnt start and the IF code came on again. I check for the ignitor sparking and it was there so i took it apart again thinking i didnt do a good enough job cleaning it and this time i even ran a fishing cable down to clean out the pipe connected it all back together and it started with no problems. I turned it of and on several times to see if it would happed again and no issue. Then the next day i turned on the heater again to see if it would work and again i have the same issue as it wont start. The spark is still there the orifice tubes are clear of webs and i can smell the gas from.the failed atempts to start. I even tried adjusting the pressure at the gas regulator by both increasing it 1 full turn and even decreasing it 1 full turn i put it back to where it was originially after those failed also. So right now im lost with what the issue can be since it works when i take it apart and put it back together just for it to fail again the next day. What should i try to do to fix this thing? Also the gas control valve is only 1 year old

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

So this is the older H400 series unit and not the FD series? The two prongs on the ignitor are gaped like a spark plug and if they get off sometimes it would cause an issue, No I do not know what the gap should be because once they get bad, just replace it. You can try replacing the ignitor and see if that is the issue. Yes some people have used steel wool to clean them but again, if that gap is messed up it won't light correctly. It can also be the system board is having an issue. While it might be sparking, it's just not enough. The module on the system board that the ignitor is plugged into fails and or the soldier joints break thus causing multiple issues.

The number of times in the last almost 10 years that I have had to adjust the gas pressure on a system, I can count on one hand.

Well unfortunately there is no way to know for sure. You said earlier you had messed with the gap at some point so I would have to say get a new ignitor and go from there. Start with the ignitor first and then if that doesn't solve it you can get a new system board. Either way, it's one or the other or both. A board is going to cost you a lot more since it is hard to find just the board. You have to buy the entire front bezel with the board attached unless someone is selling a used one on eBay but then you have to wonder if it is good or not.

So lets step thru what you've done so far. You took apart and cleaned the orifices, cleaned the manifold, and cleaned the ignitor. You can smell gas when it tries to light so you know you have gas coming thru. I guess you could check the burner tubes and make sure they are all clean as well. After all of that, if it doesn't light, then you either have an ignitor issue or a system board issue.

Well unfortunately there is no way to know for sure. You said earlier you had messed with the gap at some point so I would have to say get a new ignitor and go from there. Start with the ignitor first and then if that doesn't solve it you can get a new system board. Either way, it's one or the other or both. A board is going to cost you a lot more since it is hard to find just the board. You have to buy the entire front bezel with the board attached unless someone is selling a used one on eBay but then you have to wonder if it is good or not.

So lets step thru what you've done so far. You took apart and cleaned the orifices, cleaned the manifold, and cleaned the ignitor. You can smell gas when it tries to light so you know you have gas coming thru. I guess you could check the burner tubes and make sure they are all clean as well. After all of that, if it doesn't light, then you either have an ignitor issue or a system board issue.
Ok well with your help i did a quick search and found that the igniter gap is to be 3.5mm so i bought a venier caliper and adjusted (unable to get a feeler gauge at the right size). Put it back and fired it up. It started up went from 77 degrees to 85 degrees and got the sf error code (temperature sensor) is it possible if its corroded inside the header i would get this code? I was able to shut off and turn it back on and its currently running so it seems to be intermittent. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yeah I never re gap them so you did more than I would. 99.999999% of them are shot and not worth trying to check the gap etc.

SF is the temp sensor. I have had them where it might error right away when the unit is turned on or it might take some time. Just like the ignitor, I just replace them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.