Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqualuminator

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqualuminator

I have installed the aqualuminator for my pool but I am getting slightly confused about the process of electrical installation for permanent pools. Has anyone cut the cords and installed it that way that may can show pictures or explain more in depth what I am needing to do?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    23" Hayward Sand Filter S230T, 1.5HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqualuminator

The system has something to be desired...however I just finished it Monday and it came out fine. I removed the wire from the light as well as the cap with the little plastic holder thing bending the wire about 90 degrees. I fed that wire through a conduit as I am burying the pool 28 inches. I left that wire full length as there was only a foot or so left. Then I did as instructed and spliced the plug wire in the box. It sits next to my outlet however the plug itself does not fit in the all weather cover (in use) so I removed the plug and replaced it. I can show pics if you would like...
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I am following you but if you could post pics just to clarify it for sure that would be greatly appreciated!
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is the light at the pool side. I had to remove the cover and feed the wire through the conduit (it popped out here).

Here is the run...about 10 feet.

Here it is at the box with new plug. The box is hot (light will plug in here eventually) and will out to an Intermatic timer to another identical box for the pump and SWG.

Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

I installed this light a couple months ago but I didn't bother with the extra work of shortening the wire. I have a large deck around my pool so the extra wire doesn't show. I did think the instructions for the process is confusing. I'm not using it as a return.

I added this cheap timer : Woods 2001 Outdoor Outlet Timer w/ Photocell Light Sensor, Weatherproof, 24-Hours Mechnical, Black - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice Job. I have to plug the light into my convenience outlet every time I use it.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok that helps tremendously and was very happy to hear that I wasn't the only one that thought the instructions were confusing. One last question Tom, Did you do any kind of electrical connections in the box under the transformer? If so, what did you do?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Only the plug wire shortened and connected with wire nuts. I would have just shortened it at the plug had I checked whether the plug would fit first...but I'm not that smart. The foam gasket they gave me was about a centimeter to long on one side so I had to shorten it with a razor on the bottom side. Don't understand why you can't shorten the other wire in the box, but I'm no electrical engineer either. It came with two new wire connectors so I assume you remove the wire at the light, shorten, add connectors, and reinstall cap. I looked at it and did not want to mess with that end since it looked tight and was bound to get wet. If I was determined I would put an outdoor junction box and shorten it there but I think I will wait till the timer and other plug is installed to decide.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok well you have definitely helped me out and made it make more sense. Thanks a lot!
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

You are welcome. We really like it, it lights the whole pool and the adjustments for flow are really nice. Just wish it came with the red colored cap.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yea I have it installed using as a return and love the flow that it is giving just hadn't hooked up the electrical to it yet. Everything I could find about the light had really good things to say. I am just ready to get it connected. Looks like rain here all weekend to maybe next week.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I like the way the flow comes out 90 degrees to the pool wall. I looked back at your pictures and really like the gate valves you installed. Really well thought out layout. And I'm gonna have to run the wires to the light thru the hole in the bottom. Never knew what it was for. Filter installer put the light in and the skimmer.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

13. Back To Top    #13

Just wanted to say thanks again. I got my aqualuminator wired up this past weekend. I removed the cable from the light assembly and ran it through the conduit and cut the excess cord off and reterminated the cable. I then spliced the plug connection in the box and plugged it in. Much easier than the directions were making it out to be. Thanks again!
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit