Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So much rain! How to balance?

1. Back To Top    #1

So much rain! How to balance?

Hi all,

Well our first weekend swimming went great! We've been getting a lot of rain here and I've had to drain the pool because it was overflowing. I've lost CYA and calcium (which was already down to 170) is now at 120. We're expecting more rains in the next few days.

So how should I balance the chemicals? I added $100 worth of calcium last year to take it up to 250, now it's low again. Should i keep adding calcium and watching it go down the drain? Or should I wait until the stormy weather has passed (next couple of weeks) and then add calcium?

Also I have a bucketful of trichlor tabs that I got when I wasn't planning on using the TFP method. Since my CYA is low anyway, should I just use these for a month or so? *ducks for cover*

Thanks for any tips!
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So much rain! How to balance?

If you already have the trichlor pucks and are low on CYA, I would use them. Why waste them just because the TFP method is preferred? When CYA gets back to proper level, go back to TFP method.

As far as Calcium - You have a plaster pool. You need to get that up to proper levels. It sucks that more rain may be coming and you may have to top off CH again. But that is a better solution than ruining your plaster finish with a low CH level.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

I am right there with you, we are being bombarded with rain up here too. I had just added 50 lbs of calcium myself, and now I watch my pool overflow it out.

Lower calcium for a few more days isn't going to be the end of the world. I'm waiting until Saturday, then I'll test and correct. They say the rain should end up here sometime then.

Sure, put the tabs in since your CYA is low, your pool is overflowing, and your SWG doesn't work. Not a thing wrong with that idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    As far as Calcium - You have a plaster pool. You need to get that up to proper levels. It sucks that more rain may be coming and you may have to top off CH again. But that is a better solution than ruining your plaster finish with a low CH level.
    Have you seen the news regarding how much rain Houston is getting? Adding CH right now would be a waste IMO. He can make it to the weekend.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Have you seen the news regarding how much rain Houston is getting? Adding CH right now would be a waste IMO. He can make it to the weekend.
    I didn't realize it was that drastic. I've been more concerned with the early heat wave in the Northeast. What are we talking? Over 3" a day? Yes - I am not about tossing chemicals (and hence $$$) down the drain. But a 120 CH is quickly going to sub 100 if you guys are getting that much rain. I would be very concerned with my pool's surface at that level.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

5. Back To Top    #5

Some areas are getting in excess of 7" per day. We had a line come through (during the constant light rain) that was 3" in an hour. Rivers are several feet above flood plain and haven't crested, people are being killed by flood waters, the works. It is excessive.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Holy cow - Well pool issues are secondary in that case. Stay safe out there. That's more of a concern for the time being. I wasn't aware.

7. Back To Top    #7

Everything is fine here in Texas. Just a drizzle. No worries.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Amid deadly floods, Texas' Brazos River crests at record 54 feet - CBS News

That was on 5/31, more rain today and they are predicting it will go over that.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes we were among the lucky ones that got 7-8" an hour! I'll go ahead and order the calcium. It'll probably take a few days until it gets here. I'll be ready when it's time to add the calcium. Thanks
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

10. Back To Top    #10

Good luck to all our Texan Members. Stay safe. I can't believe these pictures/articles.

11. Back To Top    #11

You can also switch your chlorine method to cal-hypo hypo for a while, each lb will raise CH by about 3ppm. I have been considering this myself but I haven't done the math to compare the costs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach